Questions about DIY liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturalCauses

Oct 3, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
I just had an inspection done on the chimney at the house I recently moved into, and they found several large cracks in the clay flue liner, along with the stove being improperly installed (sharing a flue with the fireplace on the other side of the wall). The estimate the company gave for the work to fix it was over $5000, which included removing the clay flue, the insulated liner kit, and bricking up the opening to the old fireplace.

I am thinking of installing the liner myself to save on cost, but I'm not sure if it is necessary to remove the old flue tiles or not. The only reason I can come up with to remove it is to ensure the new liner will fit. I would install a 6 inch SS flex liner wrapped in a 1/2 inch insulation blanket, and the existing flue is 8x13, straight run with no damper to work around. Would the new liner fit in the existing flue, or would I be better off breaking out the old tiles first?

Okay well I am not sure if you intend to use the fireplace still or just brick up the opening and use it's flue to run your liner into. You can certainly DIY your own insulated liner. If your inner dimensions are 8x13 then a 6in insulated liner will fit. If that is outer dimensions then inner is more like 6.5 x 10.5 inches and that 6 inch liner is not likely gonna fit. If this is the case then the prevailing thought on this board would be to break out the clay tiles. Hire a pro to do it and line the thing yourself.

Now with regards to bricking this thing yourself. I say go for it. I bricked for the first time last year and it really was not that hard. You just take your time and be detailed about the work. You will same a bunch of money and it will be so rewarding. But even if you pay for it....shouldn't cost too much since it'd be a small area to brick.

Let us know what you do!

I am thinking of installing the liner myself to save on cost, but I'm not sure if it is necessary to remove the old flue tiles or not. The only reason I can come up with to remove it is to ensure the new liner will fit. I would install a 6 inch SS flex liner wrapped in a 1/2 inch insulation blanket, and the existing flue is 8x13, straight run with no damper to work around. Would the new liner fit in the existing flue, or would I be better off breaking out the old tiles first?
I am sure the liner will not fit or they would not have proposed removing the old tiles. You could do an ovalized liner but if your tiles are already cracked that bad I would just remove them and do it right. If you can find someone who will just remove the tiles for you then yes you could do the rest if you are relativly handy and there are no real bad bends in the chimney

I am sure the liner will not fit or they would not have proposed removing the old tiles. You could do an ovalized liner but if your tiles are already cracked that bad I would just remove them and do it right. If you can find someone who will just remove the tiles for you then yes you could do the rest if you are relativly handy and there are no real bad bends in the chimney
Not every contractor is honest like Bholler. Do more research and get second opinion. $5000? wow. It must be some major work done for this amount. What is you inner flue diameter ?

Thanks for the information! I went up on the roof after work and measured, and the ID of the flue was 6.5 inches, so it does need to come out. I am going to get a hold of the company tomorrow and see what it would cost for the liner work, but not to brick up the old fireplace. I understand why it needs done, but I'm the only one living in the house, so having a fire in it isn't an issue. I'm not sure if they would only remove the old flue for me, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Hopefully I can get this figured out soon, winter isn't too far off here in Michigan.

So it turns out the company I had out and gave me the $5000 quote is notorious for price gouging/up charging this kind of work. I made a few calls, and one guy said he doesn't work with SS liners, and the other company can't get out to even give an estimate until the end of the month, and the lady I talked to said they wouldn't remove the tiles without doing the install themselves. Time to make some more calls...

the other company can't get out to even give an estimate until the end of the month, and the lady I talked to said they wouldn't remove the tiles without doing the install themselves.
That is not surprising this is the busy time we are scheduling for the end of nov beginning of dec now. And We very rarely break out without doing the liner. We have a couple times but it is rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.