Questions about Fireplace Extraordinair's quality and 2-7 year warranty (FPX Elite 36/44)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
I'm in the process of deciding which high efficiency, zero clearance fireplace to buy. From what I've read on this forum, it seems almost everyone really likes both Fireplace Extrordinair as a company and the FPX Elite units specifically, especially the big 44 Elite model. These are catalyst models and apparently really put out the heat.

So I concentrated my research on these models and went to the local showroom to see the Elite 36, which is sized a little better for my needs than the 44. After looking at the 36, it really does look like a nice unit and appears to be of good quality. However, after reading the sales brochure, I notice it says the Elite has a 7 year material and workmanship warranty and a 2 year warranty on "all parts, electronic and labor." I can understand only covering labor for 2 years, but the 7 year warranty on parts and workmanship seems really skimpy. Don't many of the reputable ZC fireplace manufacturers provide at least a 20 year warranty and many even lifetime? I understand that the catalyst is not included and will need to be replaced about every 5 years as a part of normal operation. And I can accept that the fan motor or possibly some of the electronics may go out in less than 10 years, but I expect any fireplace I choose to last well over 20 years without mechanical parts breaking on it. Is this an unrealistic expectation? What is the consensus on a warranty of this nature when compared to other brands? Any input appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.