Questions about Inserting a Wood Stove Insert in a "Prefab" Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt_85

Oct 21, 2013
Wetumpka, Alabama
First, I'm new to the forum, but I've been searching posts regularly for the last four months trying to come up with solutions to what I'm trying to accomplish. This forum was by far the best that I've found, so here I am.

I started this question earlier, and it wound up WAY too long with me trying to give enough information. So, I'm going to try and ask the questions and provide info as succinctly (spelling?) as possible. But if you need more information, just ask for it and I'll be happy to provide it.

1) Can anyone tell me the difference between a "prefab" fireplace and a "zero clearance" fireplace? From what I find online, they are the same thing, but my nearest dealer says that I can't put a wood insert in a prefab. But the stove I want (Lopi Republic 1750i) to install is approved for zero clearance fireplaces.

2) Currently there is a Martin BE42 in the house. Does anyone know if this is a prefab or a zero clearance (if there IS a difference)? Better yet, does anyone have any reference material concerning this fireplace?

3) Does anyone have a direct customer service/technical assistance number for Travis Industries (Lopi, Avalon)?

4) I have been told by a dealer friend of the family from a different state that the Martin BE42 is acceptable for putting a wood insert in as long as it has the fire clay lining, which mine does. Can you all concur with this or are there different opinions about it?

5) My firebox is raised off of the hearth about six inches and I'm planning on having a plate steel box welded to the dimensions of the bottom of the stove. Does this sound like a viable solution or is there a flaw in this plan that I'm over-looking? Also, I do remember reading a thread on here one time where one of the member's profile picture was of an insert that was in a raised firebox but had leveler feet in the front. I haven't seen that this is an option for the Lopi Republic 1750i, does anyone know if I can get this option for this stove?

I think I had a few more questions when I was writing this earlier, but now I'm drawing a blank. This will get things started anyway, and hopefully I'll get some positive responses.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any and all advice/suggestions are welcome.

Welcome Walt. Yes prefab and zero-clearance are used interchangeably. But I should note that not all zero-clearance fireplaces are the same. There is a wide range of difference between a cheap contractor grade unit and an EPA phase 2 clean burning fireplace.

There are rollers on the back of the 1750 insert and levelers in the front. Seems like overkill to have a metal box welded up for a false floor. I would try cement half block and 2" brick or pavers to make the 6".

contact info for Travis is: stoveinfo@Travis-inc.com

begreen,
Thanks for the reply!

Ok so prefab and zero clearance are the same thing, got it. Do you know if the Martin fireplaces are of a quality sufficient to install the Lopi Republic 1750i?

Would the levelers on the front of the insert extend 6 inches? I'm fine with going with that option if that is adequate. I was avoiding bricks because they wouldn't "match" and that's a big deal to the wife. So.....yeah, bricks are out.

Thanks alot for the email address.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, only got a week or so left before the $100 Lopi coupon expires and I need to make sure this install is a go and everything will be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.