Questions about my summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhnbrll

Oct 20, 2013
Lebanon Connecticut
Hello my name is john. I'm new to the site. I just purchased a summit insert and installed it myself.
image.jpg
I bought this as a display unit. After loading all the fire brick into the stove I found another piece of the stove in the box
image.jpg
I see just in the door on the bottom there are pins
image.jpg
Does this piece go here like this?
image.jpg
My next question is when I look up into the stove next to firebox I can see insulation
image.jpg
Is this how it's supposed to be when I burn? Any info would be helpful. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The insulation is correct. The piece of stainless steel is the boost air manifold and goes on those pins in the front. Some Summit jockeys will be along shortly to provide more info.

It is ceramic fiber. It ain't gonna melt lately. Well, it will get a little soft around 2,400 degrees. But by then the stove would be too.

You've got it right. The pins are the stops for the boost manifold.

Practice & remember the pin placement on that boost manifold. It'll come in handy when your rushed doing a boost manifold cleaning.

As an aside, the boost manifold for the Summit, is wayyyyyy different from the PE Pacific. Now I understand why I didn't quite get Hogz posts about it all of the time :oops:

The boost manifold just lays in there and the pins act more as stops. The manifold just rests against them.

Do the holes that are on that boost manifold point up or down towards the inside of the stove?
They face the inside of the stove. If they are facing up, you have the manifold installed upside down. Should only fit one way. I am pretty sure they are notched on each side where they rest on the front opening lip.

Looks like you got it right in your photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.