Questions about passing a chimney through a floor and ceiling.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
Hi everyone! After reading and researching for several months we're finally buying a Lopi Republic 1750 for our finished basement. It should arrive Friday and I'll begin installation this weekend. I've got a few remaining questions on the install though. First, the chimney will go through the ceiling of the basement / floor of the first floor. Other than framing a square for attaching the chimney support do I need to do anything else, e.g., add an extra component that would slow a house fire from spreading between floors?

My other question, is how to handle passing through the vault ceiling on the first floor and into the attic space. The ceiling is at about a 20 degree angle and has 12 inches of blown in insulation above it. How would you handle this? I've seen the attic insulation guards but they all seem to be for flat ceiling applications. (I'm using Supervent chimney inside a chase through the first floor living area.) Thanks a lot everyone. I'm looking forward to the wood heat soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.