questions about stacking and splitting wood for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammmitc

Dec 1, 2007
Perkiomenville, PA
just received a bunch of free maple and oak that was just cut down, I have a question about stacking for next year.

The bigger logs over 10 " , I am splitting and stacking like this ##.

The smaller logs under 8", if I don't split them will they dry for next year? I have a warm day here so I wanted to get some of it split and stacked.

thanks in advance.

Personally I try and split and stack into the size that fits my stove.
I used to keep pieces bigger but couldn't fit as much in the stove so I keep the sizes uniform for ease of stacking and loading.

The more exposed surface area will allow it to dry quicker then as compared to a whole round.

Personally, I like a variety of sizes. Split wood will season faster than unsplit. I'd keep some of the 8" rounds and split others. An 8" round tucked in the back and the bottom of your tightly packed load will ensure nice coals and a really long burn. The # stacking arrangment will dry your wood the fastest, even so, with the oak you may be better using it 2 years out. Is the maple sugar, red, or silver? Silver and red should be fine next year, the sugar might also be better 2 years out but is great firewood!

I also like the varaiety of split sizes. Stacking # style as in Jps avitar and Holz stacking ( my avitar) seem to be the best for drying purposes.

I simply stack with the ## on the ends and a simple stack in between. Stack it so prevailing winds will do their best job and also if possible stack so next summer's sun will be able to bake it good. Leave it uncovered next summer and cover it (top only) before the fall rains hit.

I also like a variety in our woodpile. Also do not think an 8" should be that much of a problem for drying. And yes, I've also noticed that red oak does tend to take a bit longer to season so we like to leave that 2 years but have burned it after a year. Red oak seems to take longer to season than white oak.

Get some pallets too if you don't have them. Helps for better circulation, you can usually scap a few up for free.

thanks all of you for your replies.

Most of it is silver maple and oak.

Everything under 6" I just stacked, everything above I split until the sleet started. I can get as much skid wood as I want so I do mix that in with the regular hard wood to help with the burn. I also have some 22" pine that someone gave me a few years ago to mix in.

Picked up another truck load this afternoon, see what the weather brings tomorrow, want to get that stacked and split before the cold hits again.

I meant that you should stack the wood on pallets, though some people do use them to burn!

As it happens my wife is a genius (well I think so)and she will stack the ends# then split small stuff every few rows between the ends to help airflow

I split and stacked silver maple in Sept of 06. I've been burning it, but it is still a hair green. Mine was stacked on pallets in full sun covered just on the tops with tarps. In my case, a year wasn't quite enough. 18 months is probably more optimum, at least for the maple. I just did a chimney check and found a little more buildup than I like to see. I'm sure the greener wood has something to do with it since it doesn't allow me to get the stack up to temp as much as seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.