Questions about tee connector, OAK and going through the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevie73

Nov 27, 2009
Fleetwood, NY
www.myspace.com
In the picture attached, the flex pipe is Attached to The exhaust. What is the tee attached to and wouldnt you want the tee to be attached to the exhaust so you can collect the ash and debris. Im buying a Breckwell sonora insert and to my knowledge only has an exhaust. Where does the debris go?

Why didnt this person use their tee as their outside exhaust instead of the dryer vent?

Im thinking of either busting through the bottom of my existing fireplace down into the basement and then out or through the back of the chimney.
Has anyone done this? and if so, how did you install it?

thank you again for your patience and time

Attachments

• exhaust_and_intake.jpg
    exhaust_and_intake.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 734
I really don't think running your exhaust down, then out is a good idea either. I don't have an insert, but they do make kits that enable you to just exhaust your stove straight up the chimney. I'm sure the owners manual for the stove that you are looking at will show how to properly vent your stove.

You found the right place though for info on stoves, good luck to ya with the new stove.

I understand that you can vent up the chimney but if all you need is to vent out the house, why cant you go through the floor into the basement and then out?

thanks

Building code will not allow it ,and the stove won't work properly . You can go straight out the back if you can get threw .

<>I'm sure the owners manual for the stove that you are looking at will show how to properly vent your stove.<>

+1. Read the manual & do as it instructs you to do. If it was tested to vent downwards, it would tell you that.
More than likely, it wasn't. Either find one that is tested to vent like you want, or install this one correctly
by following the manual.
Your life & the lives of others may depend on it.

stevie73 said:
I understand that you can vent up the chimney but if all you need is to vent out the house, why cant you go through the floor into the basement and then out?

thanks

Are you talking about the exhaust from the stove, or the fresh air vent? The combustion exhaust pipe CANNOT go down and out, if that's what your thinking of doing. In the picture, it's done correctly....exhaust goes up (fresh air flex pipe can go any direction).

I think some folks are confused about what they are looking at.
Stevie, the flex pipe you see coming off the stove is not the exhaust,
it is the intake.
This is my stove so I will clear up some of the confusion, even
though I think the picture is pretty self explanatory for anyone
who has installed their own stove.

The flex pipe shown here is going down through the ash dump, then
out the basement wall. This pipe is the fresh air INTAKE. It is not an
exhaust. Here is the view from the outside.

freshair.jpg

The T shown in the pic above and a couple of additional pics: the stove exhaust to T, up chimney with ss flex.

teeconnector.jpg

ssflexpipe.jpg

and finally, capped at the top

sscap.jpg

Thanks for the replies, especially Pyro :)

So then I was wondering why cant you exhaust down and out? I would only exhaust down 3 feet down and then horizontally out through the wall?

stevie73 said:
Im thinking of either busting through the bottom of my existing fireplace
down into the basement and then out or through the back of the chimney.
Has anyone done this? and if so, how did you install it?

There was someone recently who went through the back of their chimney.
Seems like a lot of work to me but what do I know.
I'm guessing they did it that way because their chimney was very high.
Mine is about 20 ft so the easiest way was the T, into ss flex all the way
up the chimney and capped.

Oh, and the usernames here are in the blue colored block, above where you
see the Pyro Ext. labels. ;-)

You cannot vent down simply because hot air rises! Even stoves with an active venting energy source (i.e., blower) are not designed to overcome that principle entirely. Use the natural draft of the vertical rise from your chimney and you'll be much happier because when the power goes out, your smoke will still exit the house as intended, and be glad your house has a chimney to work with. My house (built 2005) is all high efficiency natural gas, so the builder didn't need to put in any chimney at all!

Xena said:
I think some folks are confused about what they are looking at.
Stevie, the flex pipe you see coming off the stove is not the exhaust,
it is the intake.
This is my stove so I will clear up some of the confusion, even
though I think the picture is pretty self explanatory for anyone
who has installed their own stove.

The flex pipe shown here is going down through the ash dump, then
out the basement wall. This pipe is the fresh air INTAKE. It is not an
exhaust. Here is the view from the outside.

.....Xena...... like your fresh air intake cover..... looks solid and durable..... that'l keep the varmints out....cc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.