Questions about types of inserts, and their clearance requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Hello Hearth experts. I am still on the search for a good insert or insert-ish stove. (I have a 1953 masonry one story house under 1500 squ feet, masonry fireplace about 2/3 in the center of the house. Because of the layout of the room an insert would probably be best but we are still looking for something with good burn times, efficiency, and radiant heat.) Have seen something by Regency called a "hearth heater" that seems good in concept but I think it's pretty ugly. Any suggestions for other similar stoves/inserts that stick out a bit but not beyond a small hearth such as we have? (extends 18" in front of the fireplace opening)

Anway... back to the question about clearances, my fireplace, which currently has a glass door on it, measures 32" high by 36" wide, and from the back of the glass door is slightly over 18" deep. If that's the depth, is there play in those clearances at all? Somebody near here is selling a used VC Large Winterwarm insert, and the clearances say 19" deep. I don't think this insert is the one for us after reading some things on here - plus they want $800 for it and who knows how old it is... but anyway I wondered if there is any play in clearances like that. Would the surrounds and etc make up for an inch or less in clearance, or is the clearance the clearance and that's that?

Sorry if I am not being clear enough. Just want to know which stoves we really need to rule out.

VC is still in a bit of turmoil over ownership change. Even for an older stove I would be careful and make sure the parts are still available before buying.

As for newer inserts, Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Kuma and several others all make excellent inserts that would fit in your masonry fireplace. Depending on your layout (can you post a picture) you may be able to consider a rear exit free standing stove like one of Quad's cast units and I believe several other MFR's make them too.

Any insert you choose I would recommend an insulated liner to improve draft performance and a tight fitting block off plate at both top and bottom.

If you are going to install it yourself you can get some excellent advice here on how to do things. If not choose your installer wisely and make sure you inspect everything they do prior to paying the installation in full.

Good points and thank you for your answer.
Do you (or does anyone else) have a reply to the second part, about how specific the clearance for depth has to be? I don't know if "19"
is at all standard or anything, but if it is, and mine is 18" deep, is that one inch in play, or does it prohibit proper installation in a fireplace that is an inch shallower? Any ideas how specific that depth has to be?

Search Google for Country Stove, Inc. inserts. They have a few to choose from that will fit your requirements I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.