questions about venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkers

Nov 12, 2012
Upstate NY (Catskill Mts)
More questions guys. While looking for a pellet stove, the salesman also told me about "direct" vent, which for the location of the stove appeals to me. However, very near where the pipe would exit the house, are my oil tank fill and vent pipes. They are about 18" away from where the pipe would exit. What are my options here? The other wall leads to the front deck, and the stove would be venting right on the deck, which is plastic decking. Do these stoves vent just exhaust gasses or are there sparks also? Thanks
Craig

Most of us go up and out to assist the draft in case of power outages, Reduces the risk of smoke in the house. Venting on the deck might not be the safest thing to do. Specially with direct venting as you will get some sparks.

Download one of the stove manuals you are interested in. They have spec's on clearances that might help. The specs will be the minimum allowed, I'd add a buffer to be on the safe side.

Up inside the house 3 feet or so and then out. Or you could go out(like direct vent) and then up outside. But going up inside the house helps if you change stoves down the road. The outlet possition on each stove is usually at a different hieght. Allows an adjustable section to be used and not relocating the hole/thimble.

Up and out generally means a 90 degree elbow or clean out tee on the back of the stove adapter, then a length of straight pipe followed by a 90 degree elbow and then more straight pipe to get through the wall and past the minimum clearance to the building followed by a horizontal termination cap.

The up through the roof venting is called, through the roof (the best overall) . There is also out and up (considered inferior to the up and out, but better than direct) . Then there is direct (cheap and doable with most but not all stoves).

Your stove dictates which versions you can use. The manual rules.

Hey, I'm not getting in the middle of this one.

You is in major hurt territory, I'm heading for the lower floors of my cave and closing the blast doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.