Questions and parts list for DIY boiler.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullfrogg

Sep 5, 2012
Hey guys,
Nice site. I'm new here, but I have looked a lot in the past.

Here's what I got.
I built a wood stove from a stubby 320 gallon propane tank. I currently use it in my shop to heat just the shop. I cut one end off do I could build a door. It is 42" wide and about 46" long. I would really like to ad a water tank so I can try to heat my house also. I do want to move it outside into a small metal shed. Can someone please tell me most of what I might need to do this?
I can make or build anything, Im just so unfamiliar with this.

I guess what do I need for thermostats?
Blowers? In ground water line to and from house?
Heat exchangers? Any info would be great..
Thanks guys,
Jeremy

bullfrog boiler.jpg

Hello! I'm kinda in the same boat as well, only with a little different design. I have the same questions and also adding a few more. Just wondering what is an optimal place to locate the primary air outlet inside the box? Also, what kind of CFM are most blowers putting out on average? Now as far as fire brick, I would like to make my own but, not too sure where to get the refractory. I've look a lot of different places but not much luck. Is it something that is common in larger retail stores, or is this something that I would have to find on the internet?

Have to say guys that you are playing with fire and water which can be an explosive combination. There are so many issues to consider here, but the most important issue has to be safety.

As begreen said fire and water explosive
I would suggest a vented boiler (non pressure) for safety reasons (these type rot out faster)
Google foundry furnace or metal furnace you will find refractory and fire brick
Google OWB (outdoor water boiler) there is lots of info on factory and diy

I don't plan on building a sealed unit. I don't want everything under pressure. I just want to heat water and try to heat my house and shop.

I think I'd look for a used boiler.

That might just be me though - I have a hard time sometimes finishing projects.

Well said

Status
Not open for further replies.