Questions Changes in Allagash 300? Remote? How Hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polly

Nov 25, 2010
Cape Cod
I know the Allagash has been around for a decade? and am wondering if the current model has any changes form previous models?
I did read that controls are on the back now instead of the side.
AS for the remote, will the remote lower and raise the flames?
I got a price of $189 for remote. Does this seem high to you guys, as it did to me?
One more question, how hot does the top of the stove get, and can I put a piece of soapstone on top of the stove?
Thanks a lot
Polly

Polly said:
I know the Allagash has been around for a decade? and am wondering if the current model has any changes form previous models?

How far back are we talking? There haven't been any significant changes since they went from the bent tube burner to the stainless steel/ cast iron pan burner, although they did move the gas valve from the left side to under the ash lip.

I did read that controls are on the back now instead of the side.
AS for the remote, will the remote lower and raise the flames?

Jotul hasn't followed suit with the other gas products that use the SIT valve remotes (yet) & this is a smart move on their part - IMHO. We've had many issues with Regency & Hearthstone units that have switched. We'd just as soon sell you a remote on/off/t-stat from Skytech.

I got a price of $189 for remote. Does this seem high to you guys, as it did to me?

That's in the ballpark for a Skytech 3301

One more question, how hot does the top of the stove get, and can I put a piece of soapstone on top of the stove?

Hot enough to burn you. I don't know that you can cover the top with soapstone & not cause other issues with the heat affecting the unit. I'd like to think not, but Jotul tech would be the only folks who could reliably tell you. Probably not tested for that.

Thanks a lot
Polly

Status
Not open for further replies.