Questions concerning catch basin next to road

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I live on a state route (Ohio). I have a culvert along part of my property at the street with a catch basin that was probably installed in the 50s which is falling apart. I have called the state road department which claims to have put me on a list (sounded like his typical answer for a call like mine). I have seen other catch basins repaired along this road. Unfortunately, I never see the work in process. I wouldn't think that this would be my responsibility/cost to repair especially since this drains under the roadway. Anyone have any information on how to get this resolved? If the catch basin collapses, it would flood my septic tank that is 50' away. Also, how do I get the culvert redug? I've seen this down the road but again I don't know if the owner is billed for this as well (I hope not).
Thanks!

Attachments

• work pictures 002.jpg
    work pictures 002.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 371
also in ohio on township rd
they clean the ditch yearly
I take care of everything else
there is no money available
good luck
hopefully they fix it before it becomes a problem
I am on ahill so the water will not be a problem
it just looks bad out in front of the house
when we try to keep everything neat
iI am seriously thinking about repasiring it myself
and deal with the town later

If it did collapse and block the flow of water, in addition to flooding my septic it would flood the road as well. Of course, I don't want this to happen to get them to repair it.

It looks like a serious hazard to me. If a car should go off the road it will punch right through the patio block and cause a serious wreck. Up here we can call channel 7 news problem solvers hotline. And saying you will be forced to call them if its not taken care of usually gets their attention.

Billy

It will be fixed as soon as it fails. Preventative repairs are few and far between in the world of road work.

I've had luck letting them know in a certified letter of the dangers that are present and if somebody were to get hurt due to it they would be held liable because they have been notified in writing.

Matt

yep certifed letter helps big time, many many phone calls, local news hot lines,also tell them children have been playing there and you don't want them to fall iin and get hurt.

Go smash it with your backhoe to move it up on their priority list, you need to make it a safety issue and be able to threaten them with liability for loss of life. It works great. Unfortunately there are too many items that are maybe potentially someday going to fail to work so your bad looking CB is one of a thousand. In my part of the country, the roads and the property they set on is owned by the gov't so all costs are covered by the gov't for repairing these things in the roadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.