Questions for Quadrafire Santa fe owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild4stangs

Jan 24, 2006
Greetings all, I am new to this forum. Back in October I had a new Quadrafire Santa Fe pellet insert installed in my home. It works well, I just have a couple of questions. Just for reference, I am using the stove to heat my home, and I burn about 1 bag of premium pellets (lignetics) per day.

1. I get a strange pattern of ash build-up on the glass door. Same pattern every week... Is this normal ?
2. I have to break up the clinkers on the bottom of the firepot every other day... If I don't the firepot seems to get full with hardened ash, and I get that roaring sound when the thing fires up. Is this normal ?

Other thank these issues we have no problems at all.

Thanks in advance for your replies...

John

If you burn on any lower setting you will get more ash buildup. The airwash above the glass needs lot of air to work. You can also make shure your gasket is sealing properly on the sides and bottem of the unit. Where ever there is a air leak you will get ash.(not including the top of the gasket, where there is no gasket.) Your cleaning schedule seems right, every two days inst bad.
Ryan

I burn on high all the time... I will have to check my gasket... If memory serves, it some sort of nylon rope type, and I think it seals on all 4 sides...

Wild,

What type of pattern on the glass? Around the edges? I'm burning Marth pellets, when burned alone (without corn) I get virtually no clinker or even ash in the pot, it's clean. Corn is another story. I heard from the Quad rep today regarding the thread "Pellet Roar" that I posted, he said the following may cause this:
1) Over feeding the stove. When stove is on high, no lazy yellow brown long tailed flames should be apparent. Adjust the feed rate accordingly.
2) Door gasket seals failed. Watch the dirt patterns on the glass for areas that get dirty quicker and check the seal itself to be sure it is uniform, not frayed.
3) Plugged airwash. The air wash on my Castile is located on the bottom side of the door, it is the only side of the door without gasket material. The rep said it is possible that the gasket is installed incorrectly blocking the airwash and that may cause the roar.

Going home to continue trouble shooting, I'll keep you posted.

B

Greetings Firestarter, when I got home last night, I checked the gasket. It looks like it is in good shape. The weird thing is that the gasket only seals the sides and top. there is no gasket material on the bottom ??? The pattern looks like upside down mountains, basically upside down moutain peaks. From top the Left corner, pattern goes down to the bottom, then all the way to the back to the top, and then back down and up to the top again... I am going to contact Quadrafire today...

The empty space at the bottem is normal, thats the place for the airwash, ash on the door is normal, do you have the log set installed? that could be causing it.
Ryan

I do have the log set, but removed them as they take up alot of space, (have to clean out every few days when in), and I wanted to see if removing them would change the ash pattern on the glass. It didn't.

Im looking at my burn display right now, and the ash pattern on mine is top right hand corner, and left side. There is a high side on the weld in the upper right hand corner that might be causing mine to have that pattern, but i would expect some amout of ash on the glass. Instead of contacting quad, i would contact your dealer. The manufacture usually reffers you to them anyway.
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.