Questions on air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdamico

Aug 20, 2013
South Kingstown, RI
Hi all,
I know I ask a lot of questions, but really just want to get the most out of my awesome new pellet stove....and you always have the answer!
So we have a 1000sf house. Stove in corner of living room with 20 ft vaulted ceiling. Short(12ft) hallway off center of room leading to 2 bedrooms. If I run stove at 74, run ceiling fan counter clockwise, and place small fan on floor pointing toward stove from hall(leading to bedrooms), the bedrooms run @68-69-which is great! Do you think this is the best way to set up? It seems silly to run the stove so warm in an empty room, but not silly to be warm in bed! But, it must be a heck of a lot cheaper to burn the stove like this than to pay the $600/month electric bill to heat the house(electric heat). Please ease my brain :confused:

Reactions: BigJohnfromCT
Stove off at night. I shut my bedroom door and run this at night. My programmable 'stat cuts the stove on 30 minutes before I wake up.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-Safeheat-ComforTemp-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382798635&sr=8-2&keywords=oil heaters for home

Physics doesn't work well in my house. I push the heat and get 2-3 more degrees in far end of house vs pushing cool air toward stove. My house layout is a tad different then the average bear but this works for me.

You are set up best you can. Pellet stoves are just space heaters at the end of the day. I run mine similarly. Only thing you could do more if cut vents into the bedrooms.

Reactions: Tdamico
Yeah, not able to cut vents due to set up. Love the heat, especially compared to electric! Just want to use it the most efficient and economical way possible!

I've tried a bunch of different air moving schemes and have found the best way for me is to run the stove on the lowest feed setting that will match the heat loss of the of the house.Lowest fan speed also.The stove makes its own circulation pattern over time.The colder it is outside the easier it becomes to do this without the thermostat shutting it down. It takes a couple of hours for it to start balance out but it works best for me.

I've tried a bunch of different air moving schemes and have found the best way for me is to run the stove on the lowest feed setting that will match the heat loss of the of the house.Lowest fan speed also.The stove makes its own circulation pattern over time.The colder it is outside the easier it becomes to do this without the thermostat shutting it down. It takes a couple of hours for it to start balance out but it works best for me.
Yeah slow and steady heat works well for me too.

Reactions: Tdamico
Ceiling fan should be going clockwise in the cold months, counter in the warm months.

Status
Not open for further replies.