Questions on BB Install on Makita 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So went to HD yesterday to pick up some stuff and the tool rental section had another 6401 on sale. It was in better shape than the one I picked up there last year (price was a little higher) but felt it was a good deal especially since the guy running the section had just put a new bar and chain on it with a new air filter (Thanks Rick!). So now that I have two 6401s am thinking about upgrading the older more worn one by installing the BB kit from Baileys and a longer bar. I did some searches (on google and here) but am suffering from info overload and have a few questions. Muffler mods? What I gather is that different saws benefit differently from muffler mods and for the 6401 (with or without the BB kit) the benefits are minimal so no muffler mods are really needed....am I reading that right? Best bar length is 24" without upsetting balance? ....and lastly, is the heavy duty air filter kit worth it?

Lots of information about this over at - arboristsite.com- The dolmar 7900 slug-n-jug are reported to have a better fit and finish than the Baileys BB kit, but more expensive. Jutt77 just did this to his 6401, seemed to like the mod. Muff. mod., probably not going to gain you much. Bar length- that's kinda a personal preferance thing. Air filter, can be a benefit if your conditions warrant it. And yes, if I try, I can be even more vague. ;-)

You are reading it right....Epa chokes down different saws and depends on sales. If the sales are low less restriction is needed.

I opted to go with the OEM 7900 parts. They cost quite a bit more, but worth it for me. If this was my other saw, I might try the Bailey's kit. And yeah, don't bother messing with the muffler.
I would go for the hd air filter if you cut a lot of dead stuff. I cut a lot of dead ash, and it makes a lot of dust. It gets thru the stock filter. I got a bit on the inside. I didn't find any cutting live trees. HD filter is a lot better.
I use a 28" bar most of the time. Makes it a bit nose heavy, but I kinda like it that way.

jeff_t said:
I opted to go with the OEM 7900 parts. They cost quite a bit more, but worth it for me. If this was my other saw, I might try the Bailey's kit. And yeah, don't bother messing with the muffler.
I would go for the hd air filter if you cut a lot of dead stuff. I cut a lot of dead ash, and it makes a lot of dust. It gets thru the stock filter. I got a bit on the inside. I didn't find any cutting live trees. HD filter is a lot better.
I use a 28" bar most of the time. Makes it a bit nose heavy, but I kinda like it that way.

I think its a wise choice. Not saying not to run with the bb kits, The quilty or the oem is better.

After I squeaked the piston in my 6400, I just went right to the dealer. The jug was salvageable, but they didn't even have a part number for a 64cc piston. So naturally, I just made the next logical decision and ordered the 79cc kit. I imagine that's what everyone does anyway.
Don't know why they bother selling the 6400 and 7300. The difference in production cost must be slight, if any. At least not big enough to warrant the big difference in retail price.

Thanks guys. So I guess I just missed a sale not too long ago where the BB kit was on sale at Bailey's for $99, how often does that happen? I'm just a home owner, not a professional, I probably only cut maybe 10 cords a year on the high side and just started burning last year? Another thing I see mentioned is changing the drive sprocket, 7 to 8 or 8 to 7 pin or something like that?

spur0701 said:
Thanks guys. So I guess I just missed a sale not too long ago where the BB kit was on sale at Bailey's for $99, how often does that happen? I'm just a home owner, not a professional, I probably only cut maybe 10 cords a year on the high side and just started burning last year? Another thing I see mentioned is changing the drive sprocket, 7 to 8 or 8 to 7 pin or something like that?

Try both they are cheep. bb kits do go on sale often and sometime free shipping for orders over 100.00.

spur0701 said:

If you're going to run a 20" bar, you could definitely go with a bigger drive sprocket. With a 24"bar, you can take the rakers down a little more than usual and look at the big ole chips you're making ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.