Questions on installation of HI200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avlism

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Hello, I've been a lurker on here for a while doing some research and finally bit the bullet and got me a Hampton HI200. I apologize in advance if this post makes little sense as this install has completely wiped me out. :) I attempted to install today and ran into a few issues. First of all, my chimney has a 8" x 18" (outside dimension) terracotta flue. I had a chimney sweep come by and inspect it, he told me I would need an ovalized liner. The fireplace shop said it will be tight but should be fine. Well, we tried, and tried and tried, but were not able to get it in. It took a bit of a beating, but seemed to still be ok...somewhat banged up and dented, but no holes or cuts. We wound up ovalizing it ourselves. We layed it on the sidewalk and gently pushed down on it with a piece of wood, moving along about 3 inches at a time. It wound up looking more like a D than an oval. We were able to drop it down with no problems. I was able to bend the end at the stove into a good enough circle to fit into the connection between the flex and the flue adapter. The instructions that came with the liner are pretty much useless so I'm hoping I'm hooking this up right. One end of this connector has a groove that sandwiches the pipe you put in it...this is where I inserted the flex. The other end fits snugly into the flue adapter that came with the stove. Does this sound right? The instructions say to screw in screws at the flex and flue adapter. I attempted to screw in the small screws that came with it in at the flue adapter, but that wasn't working. Then I tried to drill a hole for them, the metal is pretty tough stainless and drilling isn't going to be easy unless I take it completely out. Are these screws necessary? It seems like everything is pretty well connected. Will the "ovalizing" we did cause any issues? Thank you for any advice you may have. This forum has been a great resource!

Hey, avlism

<>First of all, my chimney has a 8" x 18" (outside dimension) terracotta flue. I had a chimney sweep come by and inspect it, he told me I would need an ovalized liner.<>

Not sure why you were told this, unless he figured it'd be easier than removing the damper & frame...

<>We wound up ovalizing it ourselves. We layed it on the sidewalk and gently pushed down on it with a piece of wood, moving along about 3 inches at a time. It wound up looking more like a D than an oval.<>

You did fine!

<>One end of this connector has a groove that sandwiches the pipe you put in it...this is where I inserted the flex. The other end fits snugly into the flue adapter that came with the stove. Does this sound right? The instructions say to screw in screws at the flex and flue adapter. I attempted to screw in the small screws that came with it in at the flue adapter, but that wasn't working. Then I tried to drill a hole for them, the metal is pretty tough stainless and drilling isn't going to be easy unless I take it completely out. Are these screws necessary? It seems like everything is pretty well connected. Will the "ovalizing" we did cause any issues? Thank you for any advice you may have. This forum has been a great resource!<>

You DEFINITELY wanna screw everything together...
Get some drill-point SS screws & use a good screw gun with a magnetic hex tip to drive them...
The MAIN reason for securing everthing is that IF (GOD forbid), you ever have a chimney fire, everything will stay together...
A chimney fire will cause the entire chimney stack to vibrate & shake severely & will virtually shake itself apart...
You want to keep the fire as contained as possible...
Your ovalizing will not cause any problems...
You did a good job & now I bet you understand why installerations cost what they do!

Thanks for your response...it makes me feel a lot better. It's funny, initially I was worried about the damper, but I was able to remove the it and had plenty of room (about 7") to make it through there. The main problem was up above getting down through the top. I just hope there aren't any small cuts in the liner that I couldn't see. Yeah, the screws that came in the kit are definitely not going in...I'll have to go get some others today. Does it sound like I put the connector on the right way? Is the liner supposed to slide into the grooved piece (the fat end which then sandwiches the liner) and the smaller end goes inside the flue adapter. It's not clear in the instructions, but it looks like thats the way it goes. I totally understand why they charge so much for installation now :) . Thanks again for your help!

I'd say that you've got everything in there correctly.
If you really have concerns about tears in the liner, you can pour
Thermix around it to insulate & isolate it from your flue tiles...

Here's a picture of my flue connector bracket and flex liner. My installer bolted the bracket onto the stove first using the pre-punch holes. Then he stuffed the liner into the connector and secured it with three more screws. He used a cordless drill to sink the screws into the liner. I would make sure the flex liner is attached properly with the three screws.

Attachments

• flue collar.JPG
    flue collar.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.