questions on insulated pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james abbruzzi

Nov 13, 2013
washington
hello , first timer to the site. i am removing a wood stove that is in an alcove with pipe that runs straight up through a chimney. we are moving the location with a new cumberland gap stove. my question is can i use the old insulated pipe (looks like 25 feet). it is roughly 9 years old and i saw a sticker that said metal fab.

Welcome. Alcove installations have stricter rules for clearances, especially with a side door stove. Post some pictures of what is there and we can see if anything jumps out. And include the alcove dimensions.

"Possibly". We need to know more than just the brand. The MetalFab needs to be class A 2100::F HT pipe and clearances need to be honored. The old install may or may not have been done right. It's best not to duplicate an error if it wasn't done correctly in the first place. For example, in an alcove the Cumberland Gap needs to be connected with double-wall connector pipe, not single wall. The alcove needs to be at least 57" wide and 72" high for side-door operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.