Questions on Pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jed12674

Nov 14, 2007
rochester, ny
Hi all, I'm new here. but not new to burning wood. I currently have a century wood stove (non catalyst) bought from chase pitkin 3 years ago. I am looking to replace it with a pellet stove. I have been checking all over the net for specs on different stoves and i'm kind of lost. I would prefer 50,000 btu or better, auto ignition, large capacity hopper (60 to 80 lbs), able to heat 2000 square foot, wall thermostat capable, good warranty, reliable, is it possible to get such a stove under $2500.00? Don't want much do I? LOL. I guess what I am asking is advice, and opinions on different models and brands. I know harman is good but the one I was looking at was $3000.00. What would you guys suggest being the best bang for the buck under $2500.00? I've burned would since I was a kid. I don't mind the work of cutting, splitting and stacking firewood (I actually kind of like it, it's good excersize) but when there is a million other things that have to be tended to it makes it hard to get the time to get firewood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jarrod

We bought our Harman in '05 and love it. This season was the first time I cleaned the flue as well as the entire stove and it runs like new. I have to be close to recouping the entire cost of the stove, $2500, from the savings of HHO, especially with the coming prices this year.

There are other stoves that could do what your looking for.

Englander makes a great stove (my second choice personaly) that would cost less than your budget.

Quad also makes a nice pellet stove but I'm not sure on price.

What I would recomend is go through the local yellow pages and pick 3-4 stove shops near you to visit with. Go to Lowes or Home Depo to check out what they have also.

Make a list of the likes/dislikes and post more questions/search for more info on the stoves you liked best.

Good luck!

Check out the enviro evolution. 80 lb. hopper self ignites thermostat control. Last I knew it retailed plain jane around 2300.00

Thanks for the info. I have priced the quadra-fire classic bay 1200 all black for $2500.00. I kind of like that one. Still not decided on one stove yet. I plan on checking with the place I bought my metalbestos chimney from on saturday to see what stoves they have. When I called them the guy said he had a stove for just under $2200.00 that he said was a good stove and very popular. Can't remember what make and model he said it was. I'm still open for more suggestions and opinions, i have been checking into the stoves you have suggested and I have not ruled any out yet. Still shopping around gathering information on these things before I settle on buying one. Thanks again, Jarrod

Status
Not open for further replies.