Questions on Pre-Fab Woodburning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleforge

Jan 29, 2015
Wentzville, MO
Hello guys,

I have a pre-fab wood burning fireplace. The previous owners of my house (house is 12 years old) never burned wood in it. The home inspector said it was fully rated for wood so I went on and had it inspected by a chimney sweep company. The sweep came out and said it was OK to burn wood, although he didn't recommend anyone burning wood in a pre-fab. (went on to tell me they sell some nice gas log sets) The flu was clean, it only had a few cob webs to sweep out.
I just started to burn wood it in a few weeks ago. Since then I have been researching adding a blower to help move more heat out into the room. (not expecting to heat the house) And during my research I am getting a bunch of conflicting information from people.

My main question, is it safe to burn wood in a pre-fab (if its rated for wood)? Some are saying of course, others warn I could burn my house down at any moment.

I am coming across warnings of a fires getting too hot and igniting my chimney, but have no idea how to monitor the temperature at which everything goes up in flames?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

If everything is installed correctly with proper clearances and everything is in good repair it should be perfectly safe. Now are you going to get any heat out of it? That depends on the unit but probably not fireplaces usually suck out more heated air then they replace.

Do you know what make and model the ZC prefab is? It should be on the inside of the door frame. All ZC fireplaces are not the same. Some are strictly made for occasional 3-4 hr burns and not for 24/7 burning. This could be what the sweep was getting at.

Reactions: bholler
I agree with begreen on that totally

Check in to the Grate Wall of Fire (http://www.gratewalloffire.com/) for increased heat output from your fireplace. I can't give numbers or scientific evidence, but we definitely get a lot more heat from our (traditional masonry) fireplace w/ the "grate wall" than we did before. It more than makes up for the room air drawn up the chimney during the fire ... maybe not for the room air drawn up the chimney when we have no fire, but during.

I also recommend VERY seasoned wood. Most of the folks here use 20% or less for their stoves. I prefer 15% or less for the fireplace. The drier the wood, the hotter the fire and the less smoke (as long as you build your fire to maximize air intake).

Depending on the construction of the firebox in your pre-fab, you might want to be careful not to over-fire, i.e. burn too large and hot a fire. I would also recommend a fireback. According to Grate Wall's website "A fireback is usually an optional component in correctly built masonry fireplaces however, firebacks are required in all pre-fabricated, condominium style, and metal units when using a Wall of Fire grate." Heck, I would recommend you get a fireback even if you don't get the Grate Wall.

Check in to the Grate Wall of Fire (http://www.gratewalloffire.com/) for increased heat output from your fireplace. I can't give numbers or scientific evidence, but we definitely get a lot more heat from our (traditional masonry) fireplace w/ the "grate wall" than we did before. It more than makes up for the room air drawn up the chimney during the fire ... maybe not for the room air drawn up the chimney when we have no fire, but during.
I also recommend VERY seasoned wood. Most of the folks here use 20% or less for their stoves. I prefer 15% or less for the fireplace. The drier the wood, the hotter the fire and the less smoke (as long as you build your fire to maximize air intake).
Depending on the construction of the firebox in your pre-fab, you might want to be careful not to over-fire, i.e. burn too large and hot a fire. I would also recommend a fireback. According to Grate Wall's website "A fireback is usually an optional component in correctly built masonry fireplaces however, firebacks are required in all pre-fabricated, condominium style, and metal units when using a Wall of Fire grate." Heck, I would recommend you get a fireback even if you don't get the Grate Wall.
Most prefabs require you to use the grate designed for that unit and fire backs are definitely not permitted either according to the ul listings.

First of all I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

I wouldn't of burned more than say 6 hours at a time, and only about 1 day a week. However as you mentioned these aren't designed for long burns. How do you know when the fire is too hot to pose any sort of risk? Just by looking at it I am guessing its not made for long burns, however I was thinking with a blower I could have smaller fires and still get some warmth into the room?

I had this photo of the tag on my phone, I know its not the best : http://i.imgur.com/fEIWp8y.jpg?1

Status
Not open for further replies.