Questions on stove, door seal, and noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joed2323

Oct 18, 2014
United States
Unfortunately I own a pelpro pp120, I keep my stove clean daily, because no ash pan... Just wanted to throw that out first since I keep my stove clean and use leaf blower every few weeks to clean out the exhaust.. have owned it for over two years or three seasons, already replaced a few things on stove already

Ok I know I need a new door gasket seal, been noticing black on the window and I can just tell by the smell and the way door rope looks.

What is the best way to go about removing old rope, single edge gasket scraper? How does new one go on?

Also my stove is making this whistle noise, I think it's when the auger is turning?? I could be wrong, but it's almost constant, and I'm not sure if it's from the door gasket leaking and sucking in air or what???

Reason why I'm asking is because if I need to address my auger along with door rope seal I will do it together.

In previous years I cleaned all the fines/dust around auger, but I haven't recent.. could this be auger issues as well as just a door rope or???

Sorry for the long post

I'm not familiar with your stove but a rope gasket is a rope gasket. They sell replacement rope door gaskets online or at local TSC, Lowe's HD, etc; Hardware stores too. You just need to make sure you get the correct size for your replacement. There are different diameters or thickness. 3/8 etc;

I just used a straight screwdriver and scraped mine off. Then kept scraping all the glue chunks and debris. It is simple and straight forward. They sell the white rope gaskets or for a couple of bucks more black graphite impregnated rope gaskets said to be better quality but I have not use those yet.

A wire brush or a wire wheel on a cordless drill will help get the glue chunks off. Then you just glue a new one on but be sure you lay it in place and don't stretch it.

As for the auger I'd try to spry some graphite lube in there and clean it first. Do the ropes first too because that is much cheaper than an auger set up. I'd replace the rope gasket and see where that gets you 1st.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I'm not familiar with your stove but a rope gasket is a rope gasket. They sell replacement rope door gaskets online or at local TSC, Lowe's HD, etc; Hardware stores too. You just need to make sure you get the correct size for your replacement. There are different diameters or thickness. 3/8 etc;

I just used a straight screwdriver and scraped mine off. Then kept scraping all the glue chunks and debris. It is simple and straight forward. They sell the white rope gaskets or for a couple of bucks more black graphite impregnated rope gaskets said to be better quality but I have not use those yet.

A wire brush or a wire wheel on a cordless drill will help get the glue chunks off. Then you just glue a new one on but be sure you lay it in place and don't stretch it.

As for the auger I'd try to spry some graphite lube in there and clean it first. Do the ropes first too because that is much cheaper than an auger set up. I'd replace the rope gasket and see where that gets you 1st.

Excellent, thanks for advice.

So does the rope gasket come with its own "special" adhesive or what? Use high temp sealant or what?

I found a door gasket made for my brand stove it might be more then just buying any ordinary door rope gasket?? I'm not sure I never have had to replace them before

But I'm assuming at where each end of the rope gasket, it's gotta be pretty much perfect fit otherwise it could potentially leak from that ending seam, or is the gasket all one circle, it just needs to be glued in position and done, no cutting to fit needed???

A gasket kit should come with the adhesive. Get the gasket laid in and one can push the gasket, bunch it a bit and cut with sharp utility knife so the joint can be tight when you pull it back together. Kit should be around $10 with 8 feet of rope and a tube of high temp gasket cement. There should be some directions with the package too.
Highly doubt the gasket is cut to your length but only the correct diameter.

The rope kits usually come with a small tube of adhesive glue which is more than enough. You can cut the rope to length with scissors easily or a sharp razor knife.

All I did was after the doors rope gasket grove was all cleaned up just lay the rope into it not stretching it and wrapped it around. Where the rope ends come together cut it barely long and then the ends sort of jam together.

It is important to just lay it into the adhesive in the glue naturally without stretching. If you pull and stretch it the rope diameter will get thinner and possibly not seal up well when the door is closed.

It really is a simple and easy DIY project. Once the rope is glued in just leave it alone to dry over night or however many hours it takes to dry. Just pull the door off and get a piece of cardboard or old towel under it so it doesn't scratch the outside face which will be down while working on it.

If I recall these rope gasket kits are $10-$15 bucks almost everywhere. If you buy dealer specific I'm sure it will be more but worth checking out to compare prices. You may also have to cut the dealer / brand specific ropes as well. I'd bet you do. You could measure diameter and rough length with a tape measure to get into the right ball park or the factory kit may state which diameter and how long.

Well hell, Bio. You answered while I was typing. Ha haha!

I don't agree that Rope Gasket is Rope Gasket. Different Stoves have different thicknesses. The way it goes in is the same. But thickness and lengths vary.

I just replaced my rope gasket as well as the glass gaskets. Stove burns much more efficiently. Glass gaskets tend to get over looked as a source of leaks. That whistling could come from there. The Auger usually only turns when pellets are needed. So, if the whistling is constant, I'd look elsewhere for the source...fan bearing or air leak. Change the gaskets first, adjust the door to make sure you have a good seal and see if it goes away. That's the cheapest and easiest test.

Same paragraph states different diameters etc.
I like using graphite impregnated as it seems to keep its form longer instead of compressing

Reactions: bags
Cobra,
I covered the diameter and rope lengths. Go reread right after where I said rope gasket is rope gasket. I also mentioned the graphite impregnated rope gaskets as an option which is what I will do on my next re-rope project.

Bottom line it is an easy, cheap, and simple DIY replacement project and is good to do yourself vs. paying anyone else. I can see where some less mechanically inclined would still not want to wrench on more complex parts and replacements but IMO everyone should handle their ropes on the cheap. It's no more difficult than a thorough clean.

Picking up that the "whistling" can be cause by air getting sucked thru poor rope gaskets is a great point and very likely so that is why I said just do the ropes first and proceed from there. Give the auger and chute a blast of graphite lube, a clean, new rope, and they will likely be good to go.

Also check the rope on other areas like an ash pan door if you have one. Harmans do but not sure about the OP's stove. Many just have one door.

You're absolutely right. I didn't keep reading. My apologies.

No problem. I had you hooked right off the get go with the big generalization. Ha! I do expect to be called out though is I mis-state anything. I see Bio had already noted that I said it and missed that so call me guilty as well. We are all here to learn and support fellow kooks that tote 40 pounders. It's a blast schlepping pellets........ Sometimes.

Now I'll go mess with lake Girl about hardwood pellets being better than softwood. LOL!

Bags, Your not feeding a Fancy Italian stove. I have the Elena and its a very nice stove but I would not want to use it as a primary with its cleaning regimen. Hardwood ash does not want to lift out of the pot to keep clean like the pine blends.

Reactions: bags
I have yet to ever find any softwood pellet options anywhere around here in KY, OH, nor IN. I'd buy some even if they were some that are not so well thought of just to try some softwoods out.

But I'm perfectly content with the Sets that are easy to come by and inexpensive.

Bio, If I paint my P68 red and put a Ferrari emblem on it would that count? It might be difficult to pass the big diesel truck off as a hot Italian sports car though....

I bet if you go to a larger animal supply they would carry bedding pellets and would be pine. That's what I tried from the farm store and were cheaper than fuel pellets and made by the same company. Fancy horse barns use them and I know Shatner has a nice barn, nice horse too and home around Lexington

Status
Not open for further replies.