Questions on upgrading.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountainjer

Feb 16, 2015
CT
I have a timberline insert right now that I picked up very cheap. It works great but is a wood hog. I also cannot get it to burn for more then 4 hours. These winter morings get very cold. I am a very handy guy and have considered working with the stove to help the burn time. but thats another question all in itself. I am considering buying a used pacific energy summit series A. My main concern is will the summit do what I want as far as burn time and will it put out the same heat as the timberline. My house is a cape with a dormer and a sun room addition 18" lower then the main house so the flow of air circulates very well. I can keep the upstairs at about 70 and the main house at 72. Input is greatly appreciated I may end up with the summit this upcoming weekend.

Welcome to hearth.com. Yes it should give you much longer burn times and should save some wood too. However, it will need a full liner and it's going to want dry wood in order to perform well. That means firewood that has been split and stacked and dried for 18-24 months, especially if it's oak or hickory.

Examine the front frame behind the door carefully for cracks. There was an early run of the A version of these inserts that got cracks starting in the upper corners of the door opening. They are not performance threatening, but you should know if it has them.

Where are you located, and how much are they asking for the A series Summit?
It will put out heat, longer and more steady than what you have now. But it will not be a flame thrower like you have now.
You get so many BTUs out of a load, right now your flaming away and getting those BTUs in 4 hours. The Summit will be less BTUs per hr., but rather distribute them over anywhere from 8-12 hours in this time of year, depending on how you run the stove and what species you're burning. In the shoulder season, 14-16 hours reloads are not impossible. Towards the end at those times it won't be pumping much heat, but will be ready for reload with plenty of coals.
I had the A and now have the B. I loaded both every 12 hours with Oak, nights like the last few, a couple splits of pine get tossed in between loads as a "filler" fire to tide me over till the next full load.
If you can, Look on the back of the insert on the ID plate and get the date of manufacture off it. Let us know what the date is.

I live in Nothern CT. The asking price of the summit is just under a $1000. I just went through about a cord of somewhat seasoned oak and the timberline performed well with some coals left in the morning when loaded around 10 or 11 at night. I have played with the idea of adding burn plates and tubes to help with burn times but not to affect the draft. I guess I'm more nervous about buying a newer stove where craftsmanship and material are questionable compared to the simple design and integrity of the timberline.

The Summit craftsmanship & materials are top notch. This ain't no cheap China steel pc a crap.
If is is under 1 G, and in good shape, snatch that fker up!
At the very worst, if you don't like it, you can easily sell it and get your money back.
Keep in mind, if you make the switch, you will have to adjust your burning habits, and relearn how to burn the newer modern insert.
It's not overwhelming, just a different beast.
You will save a ton of wood. The wood will have to be dry. What the old gal will burn, the newer stoves won't.
How big a place are you heating? Is it an open floor plan?

See if you can get the date off it, and ask the owner if there was any crack issues etc.
Mine cracked, but I had it repaired. The outer cracks came back some, but it was cosmetics, and it functioned great. Photos would help also.

Last edited:
I know its been a while since i started this post but figuring out how a stove works takes time. I have to say I am very pleased with my pacific energy summit insert. I go through about 6 cords a year with it but the heat it puts out is fantastic. I love waking up in the morning and having coals still left to re-fire with. Overall after being somewhat skeptical about making the change I am very happy. Even my father ended up buying one this year after seeing how mine worked. Thanks again for the replies and honest answers.

Congrats, you made a wise purchase. That stove will last you many years. In the next few years, you will be surprised as your burning habits will improve even more, and you will but the cord usage down even more.