Quick, before it's to late ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
This morning, my neighbor and I were discussing our very near entry into the gasifier world while standing on a frozen lake waiting for the fish to bite. We were both wondering if we installed gasifiers before they place restrictions, will we be "grandfathered" or is there a time period involved ? If I installed one today, and they placed a restriction next week would we be OK ? I know, stupid questions, but Im feelin a little pressured seeing as how the real treehuggers in this state would just assume see you freeze to death and starve before you cut down a tree or shot a deer.

I really don't think that clean burning downdraft systems of today will be regulated. The standards that will be set (if ever) will be relatively loose because of the nature of larger units, and I would doubt it will ever get that far. I certainly would not figure it into my buying decision (but I would figure it in if buying a dirty outdoor unit).

Craig, I agree with you, but just to refresh everyones memory --here is why trehugr should be concerned.

This is an article by a gal named julie who is

President, Take Back the Air
Midwestern Director, Clean Air Revival
Minneapolis, Minn.

Posted on the Chicago trib (for those of you not in the midwest is has a huge readership)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-080114breathe_briefs,0,125779,print.story

If you have the time read the commentary that accompanies the article. Its my favorite. I suspect some of the members of this board probably made the commentary.

That would be similar to somebody proposing a ban on meat production for reasons of environmental quality and general health. Never happen, even though there is a vocal minority (the kind of people who write letters to the editor) who think it would be a good idea. True, more people eat meat than burn wood, but she represents an equally extreme point of view.

My guess is that most of the restrictions eventually put on OWBs will grandfather in existing installations. That's the kind of compromise that politicians (i.e., city council members, county board members, etc.) like to make because everybody gets a little something out of the deal. As politicians, they need to be able to walk into any gathering and talk about how they "fought" for a right that the group cares about.

I think you'll see the politicians plan on the units being taken out of service as they die off and in time be gone eventually. Just like EPA stoves people were allowed to keep the old ones, just couldn't purchase new ones take didn't meet the criteria.

I'll second that!!

They are banned in some cities and villages here in Michigan and are not grandfathered in. Also several places have put tough resrictions on as far as set backs, districts, What can be burned etc. I've been to some of the meetings and there is all kinds of literature being put out showing how bad smoke is for every one and when you talk about gasifiers they don't have a clue. One of the menbers of one board that I was to is a heating contractor and he is against ALL wood burning. So don't think there isn't people in power that would like to ban wood burning.
leaddog

leaddog, somehow I knew that this sort of thing was possible. Thats what scares me about investing all this time and money only to have a band of do gooders make life difficult. I live in rural Maine, on a private rd with all log homes. Im fairly confident my neighbors are ok with it, besides Im the only full time resident on our rd. The thing that bothers me most is some sort of set back restriction as we only have an acre.

Status
Not open for further replies.