quick calculation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
my trailer is 4X6 with 3 1/2' sides, but we never go all the way to the top. So lets say we stack to 3' high. so that calculates to .56 cords stacked. If it is just loosely thrown in, about how much would that end up being? I just finished processing that huge maple and ended up with 5 full trailer loads, thrown not stacked. safe to assume at least 2 cords?

A little shy of 2 would be my guess. A stacked cord is 128 Cu Ft....a cord of hand thrown (splits) is ~ 180 cu ft.

Notice the "~", meaning that this is a swag estimate. ;-)

guess 2.25? I have had silver maples go 5 cords. Getting ready to do the biggest one i have ever seen and no big hurry to tackle it!

You'll definitely find out once you stack it.

CowboyAndy said:
my trailer is 4X6 with 3 1/2' sides, but we never go all the way to the top. So lets say we stack to 3' high. so that calculates to .56 cords stacked. If it is just loosely thrown in, about how much would that end up being? I just finished processing that huge maple and ended up with 5 full trailer loads, thrown not stacked. safe to assume at least 2 cords?

Why would you just jumble it in?

Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:

I've just jumbled it in before in an effort to rapidly load and to minimze work a the expense of an extra trip. So there is wood on the ground I can either pull up beside it, stand in one spot, pick up and throw the wood in. Or I can pick up and carry each piece to the trailer to be prcisely stacked. Lots of carrying wood, lots more handling wood.

If the haul is far then tight stacking might save me a trip.

Either way when I arrive at home I need to pitch it into a pile anyways.

Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:

It was literally going about 50 ft, but around to the other side of my stacked and piled stuff. speed was the key in this case.

Jeez, Andy...50 feet? Why didn't you just throw it all over there? %-P Rick

fossil said:

Because we split this stuff big... its going to be the mid winter deep freeze stuff. usually in jan/feb we drop below zero and dont come up for 2-3 weeks... this past season I was filling the furnace to the brim every 3 hours like clockwork. I dont want to do that this year, so this stuff is big. and heavy. and had to go over 3 rows that were 5' high and a pile that is 8' high. Im strong, but not that strong.

Damn, 50 feet Andy? Around here that calls for some wheelbarrow music.

CowboyAndy said:
savageactor7 said:

And how long would it take you to move 2 cords with a wheelbarrow??? If you have that kind of time, more power to you...
seems like your out in front of the work this season. How many cords you have so far?

smokinj said:
CowboyAndy said:
savageactor7 said:

And how long would it take you to move 2 cords with a wheelbarrow??? If you have that kind of time, more power to you...
seems like your out in front of the work this season

This summer is going to be extremly busy, so if I dont get it done now its not getting done! I dont have a free saturday from june to september, and sundays are for boating.

CowboyAndy said:
smokinj said:
CowboyAndy said:
savageactor7 said:

seems like your out in front of the work this season

This summer is going to be extremly busy, so if I dont get it done now its not getting done! I dont have a free saturday from june to september, and sundays are for boating.
Iam trying to do the same they have me working 6 days aweek 11 hrs a day that will slow me down. come june iam done til fall

CowboyAndy said:
fossil said:

Because we split this stuff big... its going to be the mid winter deep freeze stuff. usually in jan/feb we drop below zero and dont come up for 2-3 weeks... this past season I was filling the furnace to the brim every 3 hours like clockwork. I dont want to do that this year, so this stuff is big. and heavy. and had to go over 3 rows that were 5' high and a pile that is 8' high. Im strong, but not that strong.

Just kiddin', buddy...at my age, I'd be lucky to throw a baseball 50 feet. I like machines of every description. Rick

Highbeam said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:

I've just jumbled it in before in an effort to rapidly load and to minimze work a the expense of an extra trip. So there is wood on the ground I can either pull up beside it, stand in one spot, pick up and throw the wood in. Or I can pick up and carry each piece to the trailer to be prcisely stacked. Lots of carrying wood, lots more handling wood.

If the haul is far then tight stacking might save me a trip.

Either way when I arrive at home I need to pitch it into a pile anyways.

I guess we differ in this. I can't imagine saving more than 20 minutes per load by stacking than just throwing it in. That 20 minutes is well worth the extra 1/3 or a cord that stacking allows me to haul.

CowboyAndy said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:

It was literally going about 50 ft, but around to the other side of my stacked and piled stuff. speed was the key in this case.

Ohhhhh. . . OK I can see doing it for 50 ft trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.