Quick Double Wall Stove Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I have rear horizontal vent set-up on my woodstove and the pipe is telescoping double wall.

My question is - is anyone using a magnetic thermometer on theirs? How much lower readings do you get, where do you locate it, side or top?

I'm trying to get a realitve feel for an acceptable surface temperature on the outer shell vs my old single wall pipe (which was vertical).

Right now I've it on the top of the pipe and am comparing the temperature with my normal/known stove top readings. I don't want to put a probe type thermometer in the pipe since it is telescoping and with my luck, I'd never get the holes to line-up again.

I figure using it on the side would not yield much useful readings, but on the top would give me more feedback as to the inside temperture.

Thanks!
Bill

A magnetic thermometer on a double-wall stove pipe is useless. It is not giving you any reasonably accurate repressentation of what is going on inside the inner pipe.

We have double wall stove pipe (Class 6) and I had drilled the holes for the probe type thermometer. The installation was a breeze, and it works well.

There is a magnetic thermometer on my wood stove itself, which I reference from time to time, but by far, the temps IN my stove pipe are far more what I consider and monitor, overall. having an accurate read of what's going on INSIDE the pipe, is (imho) a much better diagnostic tool than a stove top thermometer. Having a large viewing window on a wood stove, so you can see with your eyes what's going on in the fire, is my other source of feedback, (even before the stove thermometer).

-Soupy1957

I wouldn't say it's useless - some temperature reading is better than nothing.

So far, having the thermometer on top of the pipe yields some good readings as far as not overheating the pipe. If I assume on a single wall pipe the temperature is half on the surface as it is on the inside, I think I can make a swag compared to previous known stove top temperatures vs stack temps and note the difference in temp on the double wall pipe.

I'm just courious if anyone else is using a surface thermometer on a double wall horizontal pipe.

Thanks!
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.