Q&A quick fix for smoke coming down second flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I appreciate you responding to my fireplace problem. (I was the one with smoke coming down the second flue) You mentioned extending the flue. Unfortunately this is not my house, although I certainly am allowed to make any updates I want. I'm looking for a quick fix in the mean time. Would keeping a fire in the lower fireplace work as a quick fix??

Answer:

You'll get the same problem, in most cases, with smoke getting sucked down the other unused flue. If both flues are being used, it should be okay.

Quick, cheap, temporary solution: place a short section of pipe on the downstairs flue termination to extend the height. Perhaps a chimney sweep could do this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.