quick info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrythegreat

Jan 10, 2008
canada
hi there and thank you for reading this.

does a fireplaces chimney needed to be installed straight up. The reason I am asking is that I want to install an epa fireplace in my living room but the only place I can put it , it would be directly under my upstairs bathroom.

If the chimney can be moved how much can I move it? forward ?

By "fireplace", what are you referring to? Is this going to be gas or a wood burning insert? By EPA I am sure you don't mean an open fireplace.

gerrythegreat said:
pook? what? you lost me

Sorry, for the irrelevant reference. (pook is another forum member)

Could you state specifically what you are trying to install.

this: "wood fireplace rsf opel type" and "EPA cert." seems to be an oxymoron.

I think a 30? deg. offset can be added, but need to head out right now. Hopefully Craig or jtp will chime in shortly.

Jags said:
gerrythegreat said:
pook? what? you lost me

Sorry, for the irrelevant reference. (pook is another forum member)

Could you state specifically what you are trying to install.

this: "wood fireplace rsf opel type" and "EPA cert." seems to be an oxymoron.

I am not looking at installing anything. I want to buy a zero clearance I think this is how you call it here fireplace but I am afraid it wont fit cause of the chimney needs to be 3 feet in front of the wall where the fireplace is to be located.

Will putting the chimney directly outside reduce considerably the heat ?

The amount of chimney offset you'll be able to achieve will depend upon how much space you'll have between the top of the Opel and the ceiling. If the Opel is 3' tall and you have 8' ceilings you'll have about 5' to work with between the flue collar and the ceiling. If the Opel uses 6" double-wall chimney and you come right off the top of the Opel with a 30-degree elbow, then attach a 36" length, an 18" length and the return elbow, you'll have moved the centerline of the chimney about 30" in your 60" rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.