Quick new storage rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studdlygoof

Jan 26, 2014
Elkton MD
Hey all. With all that impending weather last week I hurried up and built this before the ice hit. As you can see in the picture I have cellar steps that lead right to the wood furnace. Wanted something I could just reach out the door for when I wanted to add more wood. Because the steps are already approx. 3' below grade I couldn't make the rack too high or the boss would never add wood to the stove if I wasn't home. That left me with about. 36" to play with in rack height. I needed to load the rack from the back side and with the roof cover I imagined it would get old bending over the whole time you loaded so I made the roof hinge up to make the rack more ergonomically accessible.

Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 206
Great.

Nice design, that should work pretty well for what you need. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to make it two splits deep so that you don't have to reload as often. Of course that depends on how much you burn. I need to make something like that for my place.

I like the hinge. Right now I'm running into the "climbing under the roof to get the second row" thing.

Nice design, pretty similar to mine at my old place, except mine was three rows deep and much longer and taller because I used to heat the workshop completely with wood. I called them my bunks and they held about 3 cords. Load it in spring from the stacking on the pallets after splitting and this was final drying stage. I was on a hill behind my shop and the wind seemed to blow constantly. So, we ended up with right around 18% mc. It worked great. I like the flip roof. Nice.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been to make it two splits deep so that you don't have to reload as often.

I had thought about that. It would have been nice however I have a horse gate that swings open right next to it and any wider and the gate wouldn't fully open. Also I forgot to mention that I designed it to come apart easy. It comes apart in 4 pieces so that during the off season I can store it in the shed. I have also thought about a shelving system that I can add in the spring to put my vegetable and flower seedling flats in to help shelter them while they harden off in their transition outdoors

I had thought about that. It would have been nice however I have a horse gate that swings open right next to it and any wider and the gate wouldn't fully open. Also I forgot to mention that I designed it to come apart easy. It comes apart in 4 pieces so that during the off season I can store it in the shed. I have also thought about a shelving system that I can add in the spring to put my vegetable and flower seedling flats in to help shelter them while they harden off in their transition outdoors

That makes sense. I get what your doing now.
I'm with you on that one. You gotta love being able to disassemble it and store it.

Very nice , not having that roof hinge would be a major pain in the back. Ill bet you'll make a larger one for next year after seeing how it works.

Was looking at the rack today since I haven't added a way to prop up the roof when I load it up. I was planning on adding some sort of hinged 2x4 that I would wedge up against the roof, but then my wheels got to turning while I was helping the boss unload groceries out of the back of her car. If I added to gas shocks to either side with some sort of latch to keep it closed it could open by itself when unlatched and hold itself up like a SUV trunk. I'm assuming car gas shocks aren't made for be exposed to the elements. You guys have any ideas on some outdoor gas shocks that would work or should I just K.I.S.S. and stick with my 2x4 concept?

Kiss

Was looking at the rack today since I haven't added a way to prop up the roof when I load it up. I was planning on adding some sort of hinged 2x4 that I would wedge up against the roof, but then my wheels got to turning while I was helping the boss unload groceries out of the back of her car. If I added to gas shocks to either side with some sort of latch to keep it closed it could open by itself when unlatched and hold itself up like a SUV trunk. I'm assuming car gas shocks aren't made for be exposed to the elements. You guys have any ideas on some outdoor gas shocks that would work or should I just K.I.S.S. and stick with my 2x4 concept?

Gas shocks are great, but if you bleed them too much to adjust them, they become worthless in a hurry. If I were you, I would do a locking arm like on a step ladder. or just a 2 x 4 arm to prop it up.

Allow it to rotate past the typing point and then have a hard stop so it only tips a little over the typing point. Unless it's a really heavy roof, then you may need mechanical assistance.

Allow it to rotate past the typing point and then have a hard stop so it only tips a little over the typing point. Unless it's a really heavy roof, then you may need mechanical assistance.

This was my original idea but the drip edge of the roof hits the post and doesn't allow it to go beyond the tipping point

Status
Not open for further replies.