Quick opinions needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Here's the deal - will likley have to relocate in the near future. I have a Napolean 1150p that I want to bring with me and am looking for an inexpensive stove to put in it's place and swap out before I put the house on the market.

I was thinking of the Vogelzang Defender - my local TSC has 4 of them, $549.99, 6" top vent, so I believe I could change it out easily.

Thanks for any other suggestions!!

TimfromOhio (for now)

Englander NC13 goes for about the same price around here as well as some Drolet's.

Are you in love with your Napoleon? Are you sure it's going to be the perfect solution at your next location? Is this not the perfect opportunity to "upgrade," or otherwise change things up?

And if you do replace the stove, make darn sure that the hearth meets code for the replacement. Some of the budget stoves have pretty high R value requirements.

I like the Napolean enough (and got a mega deal on it) that I'll take it with me and use it at some point, though not as a primary stove.

I'll check R-values for sure. The hearth is built to NFPA 411 code so I'm pretty certain I'll be OK - I took out subfloor and have two layers of ceramic fiber backer board with sheet metal in between per code and the area behind the stove has no combustibles - wall removed down to studs, ceramic fiber back board, tile - all done to 411.

I would find something on craigslist so I didn't have to spend 500 dollars for someone else.

Agreed with Jags. Some hearth requirements of replacement stoves can be pretty stiff. The 13 NC is R=2.0 I believe. I'd leave the Napoleon unless there is a direct swap out.

Right now I'm looking at Pleasant Hearth from Lowes. Clearances work, price is right, and it's a pedestal stove.

I agree with the craigslist search. Probably can get a freebie, and for the cost of a can of paint have a decent looking chunk of metal to fill the hole when you take the stove you want to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.