Quick Pipe Layout Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
In the attached picture, the bottom proposed return header traverses a chimney alcove of 5'-6' in length. Would it be poor practice to route the pipe across the opening say 2 feet or so above the floor? It'd be 4 elbows and much more pipe if it went up top. The only access required in there would be to sweep the chimney. Might put an expansion tank in there. I imagine I would have to support the pipe in the middle off the floor somehow. Thanks. pipe.jpg

If it were my alcove I would not kill ready access to it with plumbing, whether it is 2 feet off the ground, or 6. Looks like a perfect place for a broom, garbage can, maybe a small shelf for a few tools and spare parts.

Put both pipes up over your head height so you don't have to duck to get in there.

Did you buy a gassifier?

In process of buying a Windhager pellet boiler.

Ahhh,

I've noticed a ton of threads here by you and figured you either got something or are in the process.
I should read through them. I'm sure they are chock full of info. Especially the storage ones.
Storage is still in my to do list.

I'm still asking too many, perhaps inane questions. Plus I changed direction from wood to pellet boiler. I'm not doing storage any more, per se, but a buffer tank. I've been reading about the new efficient circulators, trying to get my head around that.

Not sure what its Like without storage. I dove right in and did it all. 1000 gal. 2-500s stacked. Right now it's -10c at night and around the freezing mark in the day and I've been putting a half fire box full of birch every 24 hrs. Still trying to get it figured but so far so good. I think. That's heating big house forced air and big shop radiant. DHW too. Couldn't have done it without this site. Thanks all.

I'm still asking too many, perhaps inane questions. Plus I changed direction from wood to pellet boiler. I'm not doing storage any more, per se, but a buffer tank. I've been reading about the new efficient circulators, trying to get my head around that.

I don't any question here is insane.
I'm surprised that you switched to pellets after this winter with the shortage of them.
That was my main reason for going with cord wood. I can get it on my own. Without being controlled by corporate.

The problem with me not doing storage in the beginning is that it is sitting on a to do list and just keeps getting bumped down. Seems like the mortgage, college tuition, food and the such take precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.