Quick question about building a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
I am starting my new chimney next week and I have a question about the basic construction. How do you stabilize the clay liner within the chimney? I know you can't mortar it into place because it has to move independently of the block around the liner as it heats up and cools down. I am planning on filling the space between the block and the liner with vermiculite, but I wouldn't think that the vermiculite would be able to provide much, if any, support at all.
I spoke with the man I bought the brick and block from and he wasn't much help. His advice was to "tack weld" the liner at different points to the block. I understand the principal, but not the practice. I don't see how you can "float" the mortar from the block to the liner. My thoughtt was to use rebar to run along two sides of the liner and place the "tack welds" on these to keep the liner stable. I would repeat this several times up the length of the chimney.
Is this appropriate to do or is there something that is better to do? The area where we live is not covered by any building codes, but I don't want to take any shortcuts or do anything that is not safe.

Thank you for your help,

Bob

Is there some reason that you aren't going with a class A SS chimney? They out perform clay and are so much easier.
If you bed each tile in refractory cement and backfill with vermiculite as you build I think it would be fine. How high are you going?

Is there some reason that you aren't going with a class A SS chimney? They out perform clay and are so much easier.
If you bed each tile in refractory cement and backfill with vermiculite as you build I think it would be fine. How high are you going?

I went with a traditional chimney because I really didn't consider SS until after I bought the materials and had them delivered. I like the classic look of a chimney and if I had read this forum, I would have run SS inside the chimney. I still might do it, but I am trying not to spend any more money.
The chimney will be around 20 to 22 feet all.

Bob

I understand, I like stone too. I've been working on my brick fireplace chimney for days. It will require a substantial amount of maintenance over the years. I would highly suggest returning the clay and using a SS rigid liner right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.