quick question about furnace cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
I need to add a bit of cement to the seams in my stove. Is it ok to cement now but fire later? It's not cold enough here in CT for fires, but I'd like to do the cement work. Will the cement run or otherwise not adhere if it's not fired after being applied?

This is actually how it's usually done. You can fire any time AFTER the cement is dry... whether it be an hour or a year. Stove manufacturers don't usually fire the stove after cementing... they wait for you to do it.

This is actually how it's usually done. You can fire any time AFTER the cement is dry... whether it be an hour or a year. Stove manufacturers don't usually fire the stove after cementing... they wait for you to do it.
Great, thanks. I wasn't sure if manufacturers used a different type of furnace cement.

we always recommend either 24 hrs minimum of cure time or a very small fire if you have to run the stove

we always recommend either 24 hrs minimum of cure time or a very small fire if you have to run the stove
Thanks for the tip. I had it backwards. I thought I was supposed to fire to cure it.

Last edited:
You are correct, Nutmeg. skinanbones probably knows what he meant to say, but he incorrectly used the word "cure" instead of "dry". The cement needs to air dry before firing to cure.

Nutmeg next week is going into 30's for the high temp so we'll both be curing our cement real soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.