Quick Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy426

Nov 22, 2011
S.E. Mn
I just awoke to the smell of a hot stove. The stove is set at 68 on Room Temp, fan on low, feed rate just under 3.
The room temp is 75 degrees so the stove is doing it's job, but the top of my stove is reading 450 degrees.
The top of my stove has never gotten that hot before even the kettle of water is steaming.
The outside temp is 18 degrees right now.
My question is, is this the OAK at work.
The flame is really high right now. I'm burning Isabella pellets which don't usually burn that hot.

rudy426 said:
I just awoke to the smell of a hot stove. The stove is set at 68 on Room Temp, fan on low, feed rate just under 3.
The room temp is 75 degrees so the stove is doing it's job, but the top of my stove is reading 450 degrees.
The top of my stove has never gotten that hot before even the kettle of water is steaming.
The outside temp is 18 degrees right now.
My question is, is this the OAK at work.
The flame is really high right now. I'm burning Isabella pellets which don't usually burn that hot.

You might want to put that fan on high.

ETA: Also get the room probe off the floor or out of the cold area it is in.

Fan won't turn on high in Room Mode right now, switched over to stove temp to get the going on high.
Moved probe

rudy426 said:
Fan won't turn on high in Room Mode right now, switched over to stove temp to get the going on high.
Moved probe

Where was your room air probe? If it is in a cold location that thermometer isn't measuring the same as the probe. So the stove is trying to get the temperature at the probe to the temperature you have set on the stove. Looks like it is overshooting as a result. That probe reads to be where it reads an air temperature to match what you gave it for set point. If you tell it make the room 68 and then stick the stove's temperature sensor into a block of ice it will keep on firing at the limit until the ice is gone and the probe reaches set point if everything is working correctly. This will overshoot your setting and make a nice hot stove for you to boil water on.

I had the probe about 18'' off the floor taped to the wall. Moved it up to 4 1/2 feet to an inside wall.
Put back in room mode, fan won't kick in on low or high.
Fan only works in stove temp right now

Status
Not open for further replies.