Quick RTV silicone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Will be regasketing stove before beginning of burn season. First time using RTV. After I apply and then reattach door, should I latch or leave door open until it cures?

I close the door and latch it. Be sure not to stretch or compress the gasket when putting it place.

I close the door and latch it for a few mins then leave it open till it cures. It doesn't take much ooze out to glue a door shut. And that is no fun at all believe me.

It doesn't take much ooze out to glue a door shut. And that is no fun at all believe me.
Some wax paper or tin foil closed in between the door and the stove keeps that from happening...

Some wax paper or tin foil closed in between the door and the stove keeps that from happening...
Yeah just leaving the door cracked has always worked fine for us. That's a good idea though.

Yeah just leaving the door cracked has always worked fine for us. That's a good idea though.
I like to latch the door lightly to keep the gasket properly seated in place...I've had issues with things not wanting to stay put very well without latching it...and silicone just acts like "lube" until it cures, so that makes it even worse...

Reactions: bholler
I like to latch the door lightly to keep the gasket properly seated in place...I've had issues with things not wanting to stay put very well without latching it...and silicone just acts like "lube" until it cures, so that makes it even worse...
I have never had that issue

I hung a sheet of newspaper when closing the door. Fortunately though there was no ooze. However, when I latched it, I did not latch it all the way, just until it caught and put some compression on the gasket. (The PE Alderlea latch increases tension the further it is closed.)

Reactions: bholler
I hung a sheet of newspaper when closing the door. Fortunately though there was no ooze. However, when I latched it, I did not latch it all the way, just until it caught and put some compression on the gasket. (The PE Alderlea latch increases tension the further it is closed.)
I rarely get any ooze either. But I glued one shut and absolutely am not doing it again. It was not a fun experience lol

I rarely get any ooze either. But I glued one shut and absolutely am not doing it again. It was not a fun experience lol
I'll bet that was fun. I have seen some ooze with factory units too. And our stove had the opposite, gaps in the adhesive.