quick seasoning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idget

May 15, 2008
carroll county, MD
I just moved to my area in northern maryland this summer, so I had to start from scratch with wood. My supply (except for a cord given by a friend) is probably seasoned six months maybe a bit more. Can I quick season some of it by placing it near my wood stove for a period to dry out? If so, how long would quick season, 1 week or more?

thanks for advice

You did not state what type of wood this is so it is difficult to answer.

Depending upon the type of wood you have, how small it is split and where and how it has been stacked, it could be ready now. Certainly next to a stove for a week would not harm it.

If you can post what this wood is will help others to answer it better.

Putting it near the stove will definitely help, no matter what state it's in. If it's all you've got, you're going to burn it anyway, done or not, so why not dry it near the stove for a bit first? Go for it. How long is really dependent on how close to the stove you are comfortable with. At any rate, the best way to do it is standing on end so long as you are certain it won't fall over and make contact with the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.