quick sharpening question----brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joel95ex

Nov 3, 2010
NE TX
If you have the correct size file does the brand of guide(are the angles and depth of file position the same) and gauge matter or are they pretty much the same. the stihl dealer is kinda outa the way but oregon and husky files are everywhere...thanks!!!

if the file is right size your good to go angles are the same.

Sometimes file guides need to be used with a particular brand of chain. It's not just the angles--the file guide may set the file too deep/shallow into the tooth gullet. Other guides, such as the File-O-Plate (FOP) sometimes need to be altered to work with different bands of chain. There are even different FOP's for chisel and semi-chisel chain.

I've used Oregon, PFerd, and Stihl files in Oregon file guides on Oregon chain without issue; however, I've never tried using an Oregon file guide on Stihl chain. I do know that the harder Stihl files have a reputation for lasting a longer when filing the harder Stihl chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.