Quick sweep on Friday - pleasant surprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bag of hammers

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2010
Northern ON
Got to my place a couple hours early on Friday. I had a couple hours of daylight left, and it was a cold day but sunny and calm so the sun had warmed the place up inside significantly. I figured I'd take advantage of the situation and go up on the roof and run the brush down the chimney before lighting the stove for the weekend.

I pulled the top baffle bricks and laid them on the bottom of the firebox and went up to sweep. 3 runs of the brush and I called it done. I don't think there was enough powdery soot (top of the 3 back baffle bricks) to fill more than the palm of my hand. Pretty good for almost 5 - 1/2 months of weekend burning and a cold winter, IMHO. Nice feeling to see a clean chimney. Also I remembered to pull the flue temp probe this time around... ;em.

Attachments

• 15_03_13_chimney_sweep.jpg
    15_03_13_chimney_sweep.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Dave - I appreciate the sanity check. So far (3 years of weekend burning in the 2200, with long burning seasons) it's been doing really well in that regard. I think this is the best year so far for soot buildup.

I get a bit worried from the little bit of smoke I get on a reload - not sure what I'd do (stress out probably) with a load of green wood.

This is proving to be a nice stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.