Quick Thank You and a question about quick dry newly split wood (stacking)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Newbie here . I have read a heck of a lot on here and all is good! Learning a lot too, Thank You!! My question is about stacking wood for a quick seasoning. Does anyone use the "log cabin" type of stack?(lay 2 logs down, on opposite sides (parallel) , next set oppisite direction.)
I am using this because of the air issue and maximum sun (Right now these stacks are seeing 6 - hours) plus being on cement.
Also for some odd reason my fireplace has a hard time being able to burn wood over 3 inches in diameter unless it is a wax log. Though I cant complain about the exceptional heat it puts out. Thanks again.

Welcome to the hearth fire_n_ice; BTW that is a great avatar! I think one of my wife's cats could have been the inspiration for that one.

I have not tried the method of stacking you are talking about, but it does make sense that it would work to dry things out well. As far as I can tell, the things that dry wood out the fastest are the sun and good air movement. Beyond that, whatever voodoo you subscribe to regarding the stack is just semantics. If you can keep it in the sun and keep the air flowing well, you're doing fine.

That is what we used to call "ricking" the wood. Fastest way to air dry it that there is. Eats a ton of space though.

Status
Not open for further replies.