Quick Thermometer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apiator

Aug 9, 2009
North Misissippi
Got my Avalon Olympic insert installed about 6 weeks ago and have finally used it twice. Thanks for the previous advice and suggestions. Seems to work great.

I need to get a thermometer since I have no idea what's normal yet. Both the Condar and Rutland state that their thermometers are for flue pipes. Since mine is an insert, I cannot reaonably attach it to the flue pipe. Will setting it on the stove top give a semi-accurate reading??

Thanks.

Sure. You will at least have a basis for comparison

Yes. I've never seen a dedicated surface meter. They all seem to be made for the flue pipe but they are all surface mount meters so they don't care what surface you are measuring. I dare say that most stoves with surface meters are using a rutland meter. I happen to like the looks of the codar better so I will be trying to get that inferno for Xmas.

Condar's medillian and the inferno are labeled as stove top thermometers. Check out condor's website.

you are better off using the thermometer on the stove anyway. you have to run the stove per manufactures specs and temp. if the stove is running where it should be the smoke pipe will take care of itself.

I am using the Condar Inferno (described as a stove top thermometer) on my Lopi Declaration insert. I mounted it behind the face plate which makes it difficult to see, but I oriented so the the 400-600 range faces forward. That way I can pretty easily see if the needle in the thermometer is in the range it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.