Quick Tip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
People have dreamed up alot of very neat, nice functional bucking stands. However I've found the best one most people already own. Your log splitter. Simply put your log in sideways and clamp. Size and length will depend on where it needs to balance. With my tractor mounted version I can let it all stick out to one side. I'm referring to the what I call the sticks, long 6" or smaller. Stuff I can easily pick up that needs cut down. If you don't have a grapple it could work for larger pieces with 2 people lifting it on the splitter table, one person hold while the other clamps.

Why are you bothering cutting down six inch sticks?

Cool, thanks. Never thought of that. I've got two full stack of that type of wood to cut. And my back would be soo tired of bending over to cut them.

Kenster said:
Why are you bothering cutting down six inch sticks?
I'm talking about those small logs that might be 20' long that need bucked to length. But that was just an example of size. Obviously if they are too large to handle they will need cut another way. If you save most of they tree than undoubtedly come across many light enough to lift pieces that could be cut on a bucking stand or as I suggested on your splitter.

Thanks Wkpoor. Great tip. I am going to try that next time I need to do some cutting.
I think it will come in especially handy on the ones that are on the cusp; those lengths
of 22-28 inches that will be much easier "clamped" in the splitter.

Good idea.
Remember, your log splitter is a hydraulic press, many uses if you think about it.
various shapes to cover the wedge can help
Need to break a stubborn tire bead off a wheel? Used mine to fix an ATV tire. Tough bead to break.
(Not any more ;) ) Vertical of course :lol:

They can also be used to bend iron.

Thanks guys for adding to this thread with other useful ideas. No reason why a log splitter has to be just for splitting logs.

bogydave said:
Good idea.
Remember, your log splitter is a hydraulic press, many uses if you think about it.
various shapes to cover the wedge can help
Need to break a stubborn tire bead off a wheel? Used mine to fix an ATV tire. Tough bead to break.
(Not any more ;) ) Vertical of course :lol:

Used mine to compress the coil spring from the front of my Camaro during a control arm bushing repair.
Scary and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.