Quick Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepdog000

Dec 7, 2010
Midwest
Can I get a quick ID on this wood please. The road commission left it half in the ditch and half on the shoulder of a major state road. It's been there a couple of weeks. If it's a hard wood, I'm gonna grab it up. There's a few pieces.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Tree 1 zoom.jpg
    Tree 1 zoom.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 435
  • Tree 2.jpg
    Tree 2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 467
Any tree that has leaf and they drop in the fall is a hardwood. We don't have that particular wood in our area but it looks like a locust. Perhaps someone else can ID it better than I can.

That's definitely locust. Pretty sure Black Locust. Crem de la Crem baby!

Black Locust, seasons fast with big btu's!

Thank you very much. I'm gonna grab it up. Hmmmmm, if cut in 16" lengths and split in thin pieces, say a couple inches each, ball park, how long till ready to burn? It was alive and breathing a couple of weeks ago.

sheepdog000 said:
Thank you very much. I'm gonna grab it up. Hmmmmm, if cut in 16" lengths and split in thin pieces, say a couple inches each, ball park, how long till ready to burn? It was alive and breathing a couple of weeks ago.

This stuff is quick, spliting small say 4x4 inchs staced very lose in full sun and wind late Januray could be good.

Another good catch of wood. Now I am getting jealous. I need to start finding/cutting some for next year. Ash to cut in the woods, but the stuff ya find in a scrounge usually requires less work. Any heat demand out your way yet guys? Mid 40s at night, 50s in the day, and rain here this weekend.

Thanks guys. It ended up being quite a bit. Enough to fill the whole cargo area of my wife's Cherokee. PLUS, I think I just scored big time as I ran into a guy I know who told me that if I really want some ash, he has to very nice size ash that fell over a month or so ago on his property and he wants them gone. No rot at all, just dead and barkless. That should be ready to burn in a month or so after being split and stacked right? I have a tarp over my stacks to keep the rain off them.

Definitely BL. Couple of points of potential interest:
1. Splinters are weapons-grade; good gloves advised.
2. No such thing as BL too dry. In some stoves, batch of purely BL will cool down to a smolder- mix in a bit of ash/sugar maple/similar to keep flames burning.

CTYank said:
Definitely BL. Couple of points of potential interest:
1. Splinters are weapons-grade; good gloves advised.
2. No such thing as BL too dry. In some stoves, batch of purely BL will cool down to a smolder- mix in a bit of ash/sugar maple/similar to keep flames burning.

I bought some Husqvarna Gloves, mama didn't raise no fool. :cheese: My wood pile is mostly Honey and Black Locust, with some Maple and other assorted woods mixed in. My 2 cords of Apple is gonna be forgotten about for at least a year.

First, I would grab that barkless Ash, buck some rounds off the bottom and test it. If it's around 20%, the whole thing is ready to go in the stove and you can split some bigger for long burns. If the bottom rounds are still too wet, it'll probably be drier further up the tree. If I could, I'd split the BL medium large and save it for next season for long burns. It's harder than other woods to get lit, and since it's green, it's going to be tough to burn this season.

Why are you forgetting about your two cords of apple? Apple is a primo fuel, outside of hedge there really aren't any woods that have significantly higher btu output than apple. Locust is great stuff and apple is just as good, your dry wood is your best wood, regardless if species.

ALL of my wood was alive and kicking when I cut it down this year. The apple tree came down around early to mid August of this year. All the BL was alive as of July of this year. The Honey Locust was alive last month. This is my predicament, everything is green. The BL has been sitting uncovered and cross stacked for about 3 months now. Hmmmm, where can I get a moisture content tester? I'd love to follow up on Woody Stover's advice & try to pick one up locally tomorrow. I need a magnetic thermostat as well rated for double wall for my chimney pipe in the house. Menard's has em for single wall only.

Lowe's and Harbor Freight have the moisture meters. I think that for double-wall pipe you'll have to drill a hole for a probe thermometer, but I would get one for sure. My single-wall was starting to glow where it went from horizontal to vertical last night on a cold start, and I didn't even think I was burning it very hot, only about 700 on the surface meter, near the outlet.

Not all lowes and harbor freight have mm, I had to order mine online

I've never seen so much BL on here!

Black Locust . . . and CodyWayne is right . . . the flavor of the month lately seems to be black locust . . . wasn't it ash or oak last year? ;)

krex1010 said:
Not all lowes and harbor freight have mm, I had to order mine online
I think you could ask your local store if they could get it from one of their other stores...

Status
Not open for further replies.