Quickie at dusk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I have been way too busy at work and just haven't had much time for my wood habit. Fortunately, I have my '11/'12 wood c/s/s now, but I still have a need to keep getting more. Yesterday, after I finished as much of the other chores I have been neglecting for the last month or so, I grabbed the saw, Fiskars, and PPE and made a run for it just as the sun was going down. I have had my eye on this little Oak log on the side of a road near me for months now.
1020101816.jpg

It was about 33" long and just a little more than my 20" bar thick. I cut it in half, broke it into manageable chunks with the Fiskars, and tossed 'em on the old flatbed.
DSC06285.jpg

It was pretty much dark by the time I was done. It sure did feel good to run the saw and swing the Fiskars after about a month of too much time at work and other stuff to take care of. This will be about 4 days worth of wood in fall 2012.

The first picture looks like it is one small round, but it seems to have turned into a bunch of splits. I once scrounged a single 12 inch diameter round, a Y no less, so I understand the lure of the small scrounge. It may not be a cord of wood, but it is a day's worth.

I was tricked into thinking this would be an interesting thread because of the title. Sure enough all I find is that you were alone by the side of the road playing with your wood. thanks for nothing...lol

I approve of this thread title. The contents weren't too bad, either. :lol:

You are doing fine Steve. Yesterday I got out the chain saw because I had some brush that needed trimming back. It did feel good to have the saw running again although I did fell a tree about a month ago. Didn't cut it up but fell it and then dragged it over to the neighbor for his outdoor fires. Yes, it was pine, but we don't really need it and they love it.

I would much rather drive the old truck home with it down on the helper springs, but I needed a fix bad. That log was just part of a whole truck load that I have been putting off because I haven't had a day to spend on it. Too many six day weeks over the last couple months. I am in the middle of a 36 hour work day right now!

Flatbedford said:
I have been way too busy at work and just haven't had much time for my wood habit. Fortunately, I have my '11/'12 wood c/s/s now, but I still have a need to keep getting more. Yesterday, after I finished as much of the other chores I have been neglecting for the last month or so, I grabbed the saw, Fiskars, and PPE and made a run for it just as the sun was going down. I have had my eye on this little Oak log on the side of a road near me for months now.
1020101816.jpg

It was about 33" long and just a little more than my 20" bar thick. I cut it in half, broke it into manageable chunks with the Fiskars, and tossed 'em on the old flatbed.
DSC06285.jpg

It was pretty much dark by the time I was done. It sure did feel good to run the saw and swing the Fiskars after about a month of too much time at work and other stuff to take care of. This will be about 4 days worth of wood in fall 2012.
Thats funny flatbed, only a New Yorker would do that (take a round on the side of a road). I know, because I think about it too. I'm originally from Queens.

I get most of my wood from the side of the road.

Flatbedford said:
I get most of my wood from the side of the road.
I will leave this one alone!

I just wandered the north shore(lots of trees) at lunch, and grabbed about 10' of a downed ash(maybe14" diameter) from the woods next to a school. I ALWAYS have the chainsaw gassed up and the chain sharp in the pickup for just such an occasion. Bucked it up right there, and have 6-7 rounds to split when I get home. :lol:

Well, heck yeah - why not? It's BTU's and that's pretty much what
we're all after anyway, ain't it? So sometimes the prize comes in a big
package and sometimes in alot of little ones. Same outcome. Heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.