Quicky jack leg mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
On my splitter there is a fold up jack leg on the tongue with two holes for a pin to stow it raised or lock it in the down position. The leg pivots on a bolt and one has to line up the hole in the leg with the hole in the tongue, insert the pin, and then find the hole on the other side of the hollow 2" tube that makes up the tongue. If there is weight on the jack leg, the holes don't line up well and it is fussy to get the pin through the other side so I would balance the tongue on my knee while trying to get the pin through.

I milled a hardwood plug to fit snug inside the 2" square tube tongue and then drilled it out for the bolts and the pin. Now the pin is guided all the way through and exits effortlessly every time, even with weight on the jack. I should have done this years ago.

I change mine out to a trailer jack with the wheel on it makes things alot eaiser when you are by yourself (folds up with pull of pin)

did the same with a cheap HF swivel jack BUT the thing folded up on me one day so i went back to the kick stand

LLigetfa said:
I milled a hardwood plug to fit snug inside the 2" square tube tongue and then drilled it out for the bolts and the pin.

Perfect solution to a pain in the butt problem.

I had an old home built trailer years ago that had a similar issue. I cut a piece of small diameter pipe with the ID slightly larger than the pin, slid it inside the square tubing, ran the pin through the whole thing, then tack welded it inside of the square tubing. Worked just like yours.

Jags said:
I cut a piece of small diameter pipe with the ID slightly larger than the pin, slid it inside the square tubing, ran the pin through the whole thing, then tack welded it inside of the square tubing...
Ja, that was my first idea and I hunted around for a pipe with the right ID. When I couldn't scrounge one up I started thinking of using a different pin size or reducing a pipe by slitting and reclosing it before I had my epiphany.

LLigetfa said:
Jags said:
I cut a piece of small diameter pipe with the ID slightly larger than the pin, slid it inside the square tubing, ran the pin through the whole thing, then tack welded it inside of the square tubing...
Ja, that was my first idea and I hunted around for a pipe with the right ID. When I couldn't scrounge one up I started thinking of using a different pin size or reducing a pipe by slitting and reclosing it before I had my epiphany.

Yours was probably faster and easier with the same end results. And its carbon neutral and renewable! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.