Quiet blower for Avalon Rainier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bs6440

Nov 29, 2013
NH
I have an avalon rainier stove. Love it. Had it for about a year. The shop threw in the front blower which really helps. The damn blower is super loud thought. I am thinking about swapping out the tangential fans with different, high quality replacement units. The wiring is simple. Does any one have a suggestion on replacement fans.

I'll be watching this one.....same stove, same noisy fan

I had a Rainier insert that came with my first house. I installed a front blower which made a huge difference in heat output. The trouble is it attached to the stove by metal clips which didn't hold it securely and it rattled like crazy. It drove us nuts. I used to shim it between the hearth.

We moved and I answered a Craigslist ad for a used Rainier. This time I have a freestanding stove that came with no blower. I went with the rear blower and I am impressed. It doesn't rattle and still throws out heat. I wasn't impressed with the price :(.

Bob

Is there a speed control on this blower? If not, consider adding one?

The noisy blower could be a couple of things on the Rainier. Make sure that the wires for the snap-stat aren't hitting the fan, they are hard to bundle up out of the way. Also make sure that the blower is securely clipped on to the front of the stove, if so maybe some metal shims will make a difference.
Does the blower quiet down if you put your hands on it? If so, some adjustment is needed. If not, then it might need replaced or even just cleaned and lubed.
These blowers are especially problematic if there is no raised hearth, all the dog hair and dust from the floor gets sucked right in!

Reactions: Beer Belly
The fan continues to make some noise when I touch the housing when running at high speed. At lower speed the fan is considerably more quiet but also considerable less efficient. I plan on carefully cleaning and lubing the whole thing today and see if there is a improvement. I suspect the fans are fairly low quality if the dealers are so willing to throw them in to sell the stove. I am going the research some aftermarket tangential fans to see if I can find a very quiet, high cfm fan having the same footprint at a reasonable price to upgrade the performance of the blower.
I " fix" things, much to my wife's displeasure. That is just what engineers do ...

Hilarity should ensue. I will post progress and results.

Mine has an annoying "buzz" from the Brass strip on the front lip. I've tried everything to quite it.....then the rivet that holds it in place broke from one end, the best thing that happened....I just pull it away slightly, and the buzz is gone.....but it's still noisy......we just live with it, and run at lower speeds to keep it quite when we have company over

I'll be surprised if you find a quieter tangential blower with higher output. Keep us posted.

I have an Avalon Olympic w/the rear blower. Had the same problem when first installed. I took it apart, tightened it down real good, all is good now. I do find that at one particular speed w/the rheostat I get a rattle , just have to not run it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.