Quieting the Lopi Leyden blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngierNC

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Angier, NC
I learned a lot of valuable info here prior to selecting my new Lopi Leyden wood stove, including tips in re-doing my hearth and connector pipe. I've had only three fires in the Leyden this season (still slightly warm in NC), but quickly discovered one quirk that I just couldn't live with. I purchased the Lopi blower for the Leyden and found it to be unbearably noisy even on the lowest speed. So, today I set out to find the source of the noise and fix it.

To begin with, this is a beefy blower, mounted in a formed sheetmetal box that mounts below the stove's rear heat shield (hangs from the shield on 3 bolts). There are two squirrel cage fans (driven by one motor) that suck air in through 5 large holes in the sheetmetal housing and those holes are covered by a piece of steel wire mesh mounted inside the housing. The first thing I did was to rap on the stove heat shield with the finger tips, and I was greeted with a variety of metallic noises coming from multiple locations. There turned out to be two sources of noise, but spread out over a wide area.

One source was the stove heat shield itself and the other was the blower housing mesh over the holes. In the case of the shield, the lower part that the blower housing bolts to is secured to the main part of the heat shield with 6 steel pop rivets. All of the rivets were improperly installed, resulting in some space in places between the main shield and the lower part. To correct this, I first removed the heat shield (four bolts) and then drilled out the rivets. Next, I replaced the rivets with short 6-32 screws with a nut and lockwasher. I drilled an additional hole in the middle of the horizontal edge where the shields meet and put an extra screw there. That completely quieted the heat shield.

The other problem was in the blower housing and requires removing the blower assembly from the housing. Both the thermostat and power leads have connectors on them, so I just disconnected those. Then I removed the four nuts holding the motor shock mount screws and was able to slide the assembly out of the housing. Rapping on the housing with the finger tips resulted in an annoying buzz, which was coming from the steel protective mesh. The mesh is one continuous piece that they bent around three sides of the housing and spot welded to the sheet metal walls of the housing. The mesh extends far beyond the welds and that's where the buzzing was coming from. I removed the mesh completely, and found that is most easily done by gently prying up around the welds with a wide blade screwdriver, breaking the mesh wires at the weld. It's a good idea to wear leather gloves while doing that.

After reassembling the blower and mounting it on the stove, I can rap anyplace on the heat shield and I hear no resultant rattles or buzzing at all. Of course, I'm left with some unprotected holes in the fan housing that I suppose could become home to a mouse one of these days. If that's a problem for you, it wouldn't be difficult to build screens that you could firmly bolt or rivet to the outside of the housing.

The Lopi blower sends substantial hot air into the room even on the lower settings. If you stand about two feet from the front of the stove, the two air streams hit you in the face so you'll have some idea of the exit angle of the air. The blower kit includes a speed control mounted in a small box that can sit on the floor behind the stove (AC line goes through the box) and a thermostat that wedges between the flue and the heat shield. So, you can leave the blower set to the speed you want, and it won't come on until the stove warms up a bit.

Hope other Lopi Leyden owners find this useful.

Floyd
Angier, NC

Hi Floyd,
If the noise is of issue to you, after you've run this blower for a year you'll probably start to hear a rattling sound coming from the blower itself. After a short time the bushings develop a little slop leading to the rattle. It always amazes me how stove manufacturers use bushed motors vs ball bearings. Speaking with the blower manufacturers, the ball bearings add a very small incremental cost, yet most stove companies continue to use the bushings. I've asked about bushings vs ball bearings on this forum and I seem to be the only one who has an issue with them.
Dan

Hi Dan. Well, I know from my work with cooling fans in computers and radios that sleeve bearings can run quieter than ball bearings, but that's not always the case. I guess I'll have to make sure to oil the blower bearings at least once per year and maybe that will help. But, the squirrel cage fans weigh quite a bit and I'll bet the bearings will wear more quickly because of that. Thanks for the heads-up.

The best oil I ever found for those sleave bearings was clock oil, it lasted at least 3 times longer than any thing else I used.

Hello All, Since my last post when I first joined I have in fact purchased a LOPI FREEDOM BAY and love it. I did make a good find on a 5 year old unit for only $300; however, it was apparently used incorrectly and was ran to hot; therefore, had sustained some cracks on the heat box. I purchased it anyway figuring I could get it welded.
After looking for a reputable welder with no success, I decided to send it out directly to LOPI for a complete refurbish. After shipping and labor it cost me $1300.
When I got it back it was like brand new. Was very happy with my decision.
Any way, the stove works very well; therefore, very pleased.
MY QUESTION HERE is, I want to have a set of spare blower motors on hand should they fail. I have noticed that these motors (Fasco K612 1/65 HP 115 Volt 3000 RPM Vent Fan C-Frame Motor) are not a ball bearing motor but a sleeve.
Is there any other replacement motors out there that have ball bearings? or just any other replacement motor in general.

Please and thank you

So what happened with the Leyden? Did you use it very much, if so how did it do?

So what happened with the Leyden? Did you use it very much, if so how did it do?

I never had the Leyden. The Freedom Bay is my first stove.

T the other post regarding oil. Did any of you try Molly oil? I would imagine it would work well seeing that it is used in firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.