Quiz Question for Axe Fellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Strand III

Nov 20, 2005
NW MI near nowhere
For you heavy blade swingers (read 'axe' not chain saw) out there, if any are left, when felling a tree:

What is the safest height above ground to swing your axe in felling a tree in order to minimize a glancing axe head injury to yourself?

A. Chest height
B. Waist height
C. Knee height
D. Ankle height

I'll post the correct answer (with reference) by 600PM EST tonight.

Aye,
Marty

Hi Marty from what I've seen on TV I'd say waist high...but I've never taken a tree down with an axe.

I have in my possession 3 different long handled axes and I never bought one of them. I always take one into the woods with me when I'm laying down trees...cause no matter how careful I am when I'm limbing a tree sooner or later my saw gets stuck...and believe it or not I look at each limb and think the probabilities of overcut v. undercut through...stuff happens I guess.

The only thing I know about axe's is to keep them sharp. A neighbor that gave my one axe cautioned ... 'there's nothing more dangerous than a dull axe'.

I dropped a few trees this past summer wiht my new axe for fun, but I don't do it with regularity. I'm going to go with B, but I have no data to support it...just my gut feeling. that was the height I was chopping at nad it was comfortable and easy to drive it hard and usually in a downward direction, which would always keep it away from your head.

Marty S said:
What is the safest height above ground to swing your axe in felling a tree in order to minimize a glancing axe head injury to yourself?

A. Chest height
B. Waist height
C. Knee height
D. Ankle height

I'll post the correct answer (with reference) by 600PM EST tonight.

Aye,
Marty

OK. And the answer to the above is (sorry for posting late - goofing off takes time...):

D.

Don't take my word for it. Read about it here: "Outdoor Life", March 2008.

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.