Quote advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samtcb

Dec 3, 2016
United Kingdom
HI,

I would really appreciate your thoughts, I have been quoted to have a log burner installed and wondered how the quote stacks up in other people's opinion?

Burner and flue installation
Power sweep of the flue and smoke test
Supply and install 7yr carbon monoxide alarm
supply and install 316 20yr warranty flue liner. Bird guard cowl, stove pipe, adapter to flex, 1.5mm galvanized steel debris plate. Including sundries, Test and certificate.
£750

Building work
Create new opening in chimney breast and skip rubble
Install new concrete lintel and patch up brickwork,
Pva opening and walls ready for adhesive/hardwall coat
Plaster chimney breast line opening in glasroc board
Lay 2 piece riven slate hearth.
£1270

With the stove on top, its coming in at around £2800 (depending on stove I choose) The building work seems pricey? I'm in Birmingham UK.

I'd appreciate any input or advice you might have

Thanks in advance
Sam

I'm not sure what locals in the UK normally charge, but by US standards those prices seem quite reasonable after the pound to dollar conversion.

Possibly. The flue liner work here would probably be £1200. Not sure about the building work. That would depend greatly on the scope of the work. It sounds like a multi-day project so there is also travel time involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.