R U Ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was cool for a few days here, but we're squarely back into AC season, the next few days.

I see 3 cords? Where in Lancaster. I'm right outside rohrerstown.
That's double row stacked so much more than 3 cords. I'm in Ronks just south east of the outlets.

Again central pa being well represented here on hearth.com. where at?

I live in York county about 15 miles from the mason Dixon Line. I worked down in Baltimore last winter, and tell you that mason Dixon line from Baltimore MD to PA was like a door that you leave open during a blizzard. 30 min drive you go from dry, dead, cold, to white walls of snow and narrow roads. (Not that PA has the cleanest roads in the snow, but that's whyi love pa!)

So far I haven't done much this year. Cut up and split a little wood from a few dead trees. I am 3-4 years ahead so it's not much of a issue. The fall is the best time to work, so I still have time.

I normally clean the chimney in Sept or Oct and move a winters wood supply to ground level covered porch after the first freeze.

20 cords ready to go, stove and chimney was cleaned last spring. Hot weather is making a comeback here though, usually I don't burn anything until mid-October. I enjoyed last winter a lot, but I certainly went through the wood! Still wouldn't mind having another one like last year though.

Reactions: JA600L
I have 22 face cords of well seasoned oak, hickory, hard maple, beech, and ironwood in the woodshed and garage :cool:. I will put 6 more in the garage before winter. This should last me almost three years! And I have 10 face cords of hard maple and beech c/s/s on pallets just waiting it's turn. Why is it that I'm so far ahead and other people I know are just now trying to get seasoned wood for this year??!! I have urged friends to get ahead, but to no avail. One friend told me he doesn't want his wood to get TOO dry; it burns up too fast... I have given up trying to educate them.

I actually have more wood ready for next year than this one but I expect the 5 cords for this year will do fine. Went to my parents yesterday (Scranton area) and the front page of their newspaper was a large photo of a winter scene and an article that you would swear the end of the world was coming in January!

People are saying this was the summer that wasn't but it's been fine for me. Hoping for a LONG autumn!!!

4 full cords of Hurricane Irene red oak. 3 full years come November. 3 cords of mixed hardwood from Hurricane Sandy for next year so far. Need to score a cord of pine or cherry this fall.

I have no clue what I will burn this winter. It's my second season burning, and I have downsized my stove. However, I feel like you can never be ready. It's nature and she doesn't tell her plans.

I have the wood cut and split, but need to move it to the shed. It has rained almost every day for the last week and a half totaling 7 inches. I moved 1 trailer load of split oak in the shed the day before the monsoons. The oak was cut dead 2 years ago (bark off and standing), split over last winter and stacked on pallets single row all summer. Still 25%-28% moisture. I have cherry cut wet last fall, split last winter that is 17% moisture. I was surprised as it was rained on for a week and was off the top of the pile. I guess I will plan on using the 2 cords of cherry and box elder mixed with some of the oak for this year.

I have plenty of large splits and rounds for the outdoor furnace. My plan is to move it into the shed in early September then get cutting on the dead elm and oak. I have a sweet spot of dead trees in an easy location that I want to get cleaned up this fall and keep ahead 2-3 years.

Somewhere in my pile of oak I have 2 truckloads that was split and stacked and under 20%. I had extra hauled up last year that I didn't use and I put it back in one of the stacks away from the house. I cannot remember which stack I put it on. I guess I will be toting a maul and moisture meter to find it one of these days.

It will be an interesting year. I have two cords of Pine, 2 face cords of (supposedly) seasoned mixed hardwood that I bought last November and 1/2 cord or so of dry Maple and Bradford Pear. Since I'm strictly supplemental due to my small firebox and the wife's p/t work schedule I doubt I'll be able to turn it all into ashes but I will certainly try. Since I have such a small capacity the Pine will be more valuable to me than most to help me control coals.

I set the thermostat at 67* and do my best to keep it above that.

I enjoyed last winter a lot, but I certainly went through the wood! Still wouldn't mind having another one like last year though.

Yeah, I liked the winter months too. And, loved this summer that many complained was not summer at all. Repeat the same for 20 years and I'll be good.

Reactions: Ashful
I guess im the only Okie here. Because its been hot! Mid 70s for lows and upper 90s for highs and enough humidity to drown a rat. Yeah! My wood may not be ready but i sure am. And im just itching to light a fire in the esw madison.

Glad ta hear folks are mostly prepared for another heating season. Say NO to da propane................................

Reactions: BSH1F
I am not quite there yet. This is my Sophomore year and I stihl have a lot to learn. The good news is that some of the wood I scrounged last year is good this year. The bad news is that I didn't scrounge much this year and maybe have a cord that will be burnable this year. Next year's shaping up, and hopefully the tree service guy I made contact with will bring the thunder.

Picked up 8-10 cord of ash, maple, and oak this summer that has been seasoned about 2 yrs. another 12-14 CSS in holtz Holden's for next year. Switching from tulip/poplar that I used the last two years, to harder woods . Expecting to use 25-30% less going forward

Picked up 8-10 cord of ash, maple, and oak this summer that has been seasoned about 2 yrs. another 12-14 CSS in holtz Holden's for next year. Switching from tulip/poplar that I used the last two years, to harder woods . Expecting to use 25-30% less going forward
You got it goin on CT. U R definitely ready. We have low fifties as highs with high thirties as lows coming this week. I am ready too.

This will be my 4th winter in my house and I have my best wood supply yet in both quality and quantity. I cleaned the chimney this week and did a thorough cleaning of the blower for my insert.
I already have wood for next year but will start cutting more next month.

Nope not ready at all for this winter, as a new burner I have 3 cord hard wood for next winter, this year will be compressed hardwood bricks

This'll be my first year. Since I have no clue how much I'll need, I'll never feel ready. I'm hoping to make it through with 4 cord. I have 2 and am getting 2 more later this month. I'll have a pallet of bricks to supplement as well.

Going to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.