R-Value of a Fixed Layer of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Any study on this w/ data?
It would be nice if a byproduct of woodburning could be used
to add insulation value from the stove to the floor.

Every stove I've ever run has done best with ash in the bottom anyway. Some manufacturers recommend it too. It certainly will make things a bit cooler under the stove too.

I'm considering placing a sheet of perforated steel w/ 1/4" spacers to keep a
dead, fixed-layer of ash in my firebox. I would like to see how this would help
in insulating under the stove.

Are you worried about the hearth temps under your stove?

What are your goals in this?

As noted earlier, stove will benefit long-term, per manufacturers, because layer of ash in firebox limits temps of stove iron.

Not much benefit in limiting radiation towards floor, once stove is fully up to temps; thus, for example, my stove has multiple layers of sheet steel below ash-drawer compartment. So, even with ash-layer in firebox, which is further spaced from stove bottom, IR shields are still required to get their desired clearance to combustibles below. (They do similar at the rear.) Seems that conduction from upper part of firebox through sides/back/front determines temp of bottom, even with firebrick lining the sides, and ashes the bottom.

Depending, you may still run afoul of code-enforcement folks.

It will make a notable difference, though I don't think any hardware is necessary. Just leave a layer of ash when cleaning out the stove.
FWIW, I tried this out unscientifically several years ago with our 602. By placing my hand on the hearth below the stove (no ash pan or heat shield) I could feel the difference after just cleaning the stove. The hearth was notably hotter without the ash than with a layer of ash. Also, the fire burns better once the layer of ash is established. Since that test I always leave at least 1/2" of ash on the bottom of the firebox.

BeGreen said:
It will make a notable difference, though I don't think any hardware is necessary. Just leave a layer of ash when cleaning out the stove.
FWIW, I tried this out unscientifically several years ago with our 602. By placing my hand on the hearth below the stove (no ash pan or heat shield) I could feel the difference after just cleaning the stove. The hearth was notably hotter without the ash than with a layer of ash. Also, the fire burns better once the layer of ash is established. Since that test I always leave at least 1/2" of ash on the bottom of the firebox.

Thanks, this is the kind of testimonial info. I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.