R value questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulestuart

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
NW Washington
Hey Everyone,
Trying to finalize my hearth plans and ran into a problem. The only dealer of Micore is about 8 hours away. They will ship it, but it has to be cut up into 2'X4' pieces to ships via UPS. I'm wondering if cutting up the board, versus having one uniform piece, affects r values. Thanks for your help. Also, can I get a reliable R value for durock. I get everywhere from .2 to .26, makes a difference. Thanks Again,
Paul

Cutting should make no substantial difference in the overall performance - assuming we not talking confetti like strips, or 1/2 inch gaps between the pieces. I nice butted joint on 2x4 sheets should make no difference in performance. As for the Durock, US Gypsum - the maker - quotes R=.26, so I would think it safe to use their number....unless USG is also quoting .2 somewhere? otherwise seems like it may be rounding error?

https://www.usg.com/navigate.do?res...ils/DUROCK_Brand_Cement_Board.faq.html#N2015B

thanks Corey,
Thats what I was thinking too, but wanted to be sure before ordering the micore. Thanks for the Durock info too.

Have a good one,
Paul

I agree with Corey . . . a few 2 foot by 4 foot pieces of Micore butted up to each other shouldn't be an issue.

Ditto on going with the .26 r value on the 1/2 Durock . . . go with the manufactuer . . . and make sure you get the original Durock.

Status
Not open for further replies.