1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Spotted a rabbit in my back yard today for the first time in 2.5 years of living in our new house. Went to chase it away to see where it came from because we have got quite good fencing all around that section of property and the little bastard ran straight under my wood stack! Spotted him again later and same deal...ran under my wood stack.....not happy because i dont want a system of holes and burrows in my yard.....any tips on getting rid of them? I have a dog too so im not sure about poisoning them...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Your rabbits dig holes? We must be talking about different animals here.....lol
    nrford likes this.
  3. geoff1969

geoff1969 Member

Loc:
    australia
    you could try traping it with a possum trap ...
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  4. Hills Hoard

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    rabbits here dig massive networks of tunnels............thought it was a global rabbit habit!!!
  5. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Shoot it if you can. The fewer rabbits down under the better. Cheers!
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  6. Hills Hoard

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    this is what they do

burrows.jpg
    Michael Golden likes this.
  7. Hills Hoard

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia

i dont have a gun license and i dont have enough property to shoot guns....i could get away with an air riffle or a sling shot...
  8. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!....shoot it, stomp it....hit it with a freakin' shovel....that thing has got to go !!
    Polarbear and Hills Hoard like this.
  9. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Rabbits are non-native pests there as I recall?
  10. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    In Australia they have introduced European rabbits, which dig holes and tunnels. In the US our rabbits don't dig at all. You Aussies should have introduced American rabbits, not English rabbits, or better yet, no rabbits at all. I think rabbits have been a major ecological disaster in Australia.

American rabbits chew the bark of saplings in the winter and have killed a lot of the evergreen trees I have planted. They are a pain, but they're native here and not a big problem compared to the rabbits in Australia.
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  11. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    That's right, you guys are now "safe" from gun violence.

Crossbow?
  12. TwelveBravo

TwelveBravo New Member

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    Air rifle or possibly a slingshot. Not sure of your laws regarding projectiles. As long as you have a safe, positive back-stop, could make for a fun day. Don't know about yours, but American Cottontails are delicious! We hunt rabbits quite a bit here. My son and I will be out this weekend if the weather cooperates. Good luck.
  13. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I understand your worries. I've seen some footage (recent and back in the day) of hoards of rabbits like a locust swarm. Definitely not a cute little bunny or two. The rabbit population by me fluctuates depending on the fox population. Foxes moved on last year but they will be back and not a moment too soon. One of the little varmints was eating up my perennials :mad:.
  14. byQ

byQ Member

Loc:
    Idaho
    Pet ferret anyone? In England they put little nets over the holes and then send their ferret down into an adjoining hole. The rabbit bursts out of the hole and into the net. Ferrets really go after rabbits.
  15. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Get a snare. They are relatively cheap to buy. Just place in at the opening of the hole/entrance, you'll have him in a jiffy. Work good for coons and feral cats too.

Pat
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Wowsers! I've never seen rabbits do anything like that around here! Now, groundhogs, that's a different story, they'll undermine your stacks in a heartbeat!
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Bugs Bunny dug holes.
    Adios Pantalones and Osage like this.
  18. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    get a box trap like "have a heart" then you can take it someplace and release it away from your house. or, you can get real close with a pellet gun, point blank. are they good eating? cottontails and snowshoe and the like are really yummy.
  19. kingston73

kingston73 Member

Loc:
    SE MA
    Do you need any type of license for a pellet rifle? I'd do the live trap and then kill it with a pellet gun idea first if possible. That's insane how badly they can damage your land, I've read about it but never seen it. Whatever you do I'd stay away from poison of any sort, too many bad things possible with that.
  20. Hills Hoard

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia

correct, massive pest

Pretty sure sling shots are highly illegal here in oz, but you can buy them in shops...they just call them bait throwers...hahah...air rifle im pretty sure you need a license...laws here are really strict...i know of a person who got charged with fire arm offenses for having a plastic pellet gun...like a cheap toy version of an air soft gun...some people eat rabbits too, but i think the running joke is you get more lead than meat on ours..

yeah, im worried that my wood pile is going to collapse because of their digging....

i did anticipate rabbits when i put the wood pile there....pretty annoyed..
  21. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    can you trap? Rabbits are really easy to trap and a small conabear is instant death vs. a leg hold trap. Actually anyone outdoorsy enough to procure firewood can easily build a simple snare from materials laying around the house and have fun catching those suckers. Google survival snares and have fun. I have trapped and snared undesirables around here in the past.
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  22. byQ

byQ Member

Loc:
    Idaho
  23. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    We had those dang things on a NATO in Belgium base where we were once stationed. They had to close a building because the buggers tunneled under it and compromised the foundation.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  24. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Never seen such a thing! Amazing......I would hate rabbits if they did that to my yard!
  25. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Looks like the work of a tazmanian devil.
    BrotherBart likes this.